• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Morgan AT--Chemicals put on with a paint brush?

14 posts in this topic

This 1921 D Morgan certainly looks AT, but was it put on with a stiff bristle paint brush or what. I have never seen scratches like this since my first finish I put on a piece of cherry wood in 9th grade wood shop.

Are their chemicals that can produce AT on silver? I believe I would use cotton balls or something else to apply them if I were these guys.

Jim 1921at.jpg

Looks like it. As a model railroader I have painted many models both rolling stock and buildings and picked up some skills along the way. A good modeler would know how to "paint" coins with the right type of artificial toning.

I have never tried to AT coins and don't care to.

Are their chemicals that can produce AT on silver?

Yes, there are many. From the images it looks like the coin may have been treated with liver of sulfur to me. That’s what would give it the tone. As for the scratches, I agree with Bobby, from the photo it looks like they may be due to a cleaning under the toning.

John

Badgers? Badgers? We don't need no stinkin' Badgers....

sign-funnypost.gif

Alfonso_Bedoya.jpg

Alfonso Bedoya as Gold Hat in Treasure of Sierra Madre

"Badgers!? We ain't got no badgers. We don't need no badgers! I don't have to show you any stinking badgers!!"

Yes, the Morgan has been slightly "fiddled" with to enhance (not a very good doctor btw) the surfaces. I guess you could call it a "ringer" for AT. Coin doctors do paint the surfaces at times with a brush...but a good one will not be so obvious.

There are many different ways to AT a coin... liquid, gas, heat etc.

Many coins are AT'ed to try to hide a major problem, such as in this case a harsh cleaning.

As Wihlborg has written, liver of sulfur can produce this look. In my opinion, the coin was very heavily hairlined prior to the color being applied and that the lighting is still highlighting the hairlines.

That's weird as I had always heard that vegetable oil would not hurt a coin but in fact would clean it somewhat without damaging it. Maybe the heat is the key.

Jim