• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cotton wool toned Morgan.. The Snow Queen !

11 posts in this topic

Hi all won this toned morgan on eBay (payed to much again) which has been stored in a little cardboard box and wrapped in cotton wool for over 50years (a the seller says) she found it in her grannys house when she cleared it..

I wish i could take some photos of it to show you the lovley green/blue metalic tones also has golden copper tone to some areas

i also like the silver/white Spots on the bust side which make it look like it is Snowing 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

What do you think of it (i know the scan is poor) have i been ripped of and its AT or "dun" ok and its NT

1723257-188500.jpg

insane.gif

1723257-1885r.jpg

eBay images of the coin !!!!

1723257-be65_1_b.jpg1723257-bed3_1.jpg

1723257-bed3_1.jpg.054d78edf75677b93ee25dde8cfd3e4a.jpg

You hitch up the horses; I'll get the blankets, and we'll take the little lady out for a sleigh ride! I wouldn't mind being seen around town with her!

However, I wouldn't believe everything someone on eBay tells you. Cotton and wool are two different fibers.

Chris

Mnay people kept their birth year or their parents birth years in some type of coinage. A Morgan was a favorite but it could be in just about any denomination tucked away as a keepsake.

As far as cotton or wool toning a coin, that is questionable, but the older cardboard box it was housed in could very well have had the right amount of sulphurs present to change the surfaces.

The images/scans show a rather dull looking surface, so to me it's a toss up about the toning. If you like it, nuff said...add it to the inventory and carry on.

Yes the little box was an old Jewlery (costume) box and looked at least 50years old who knows what they made them out of then..

Q? i have some Cordite and phostoxin do you think they would tone silver ?

all the best dooly hi.gif

Dooly, first off, '85-O's can have quite lovely toning, so the toning doesn't surprise me. As to AT/NT I'd like to see it in hand before making a judgement on it. The toning looks akin to envelope toning to me, which seems reasonable if the coin was in a cardboard box. As to speckling, I would be worried if the circular speckling was toned, which you can get in AT from droplets of solution. The other way around, as you have here, of untoned circles surrounded by toning is generally fine.

~Q? i have some Cordite and phostoxin do you think they would tone silver ?~

I don't know about toning, but I do know that you could blow it to smitherenes with a mixture of Cordite and aluminum phosphate...hope you don't try to experiment, you might make a phosgene gas...run for the hills.

320 lbs of Cordite will launch a 16 inch shell 24 miles...do you know how far a Morgan would go with just 1 lb and threw what?

Wasn't cotton once used with gunpowder?