• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

eBay: Tons of circulated Barber coins

16 posts in this topic

I purchased a lot of Barber coins. There are multiples of almost every date dime. There are also some quarters and halves. Unfortunately most of the coins probably have been cleaned at some point. Anyway they are cheap and make a good filler -- especially for the dates that don't come up often.

I will list 1-2 dozen each week on eBay until they are gone. I sent the most valuable 22 coin to ANACS for certification.

Thanks for looking!

A great writeup by TomB on Barber halves pilfered from his registry set

The Barber half series is so challenging in mid-grades, despite the laughable Greysheet prices for many of the coins, that it is truly a long-term project to complete it in F-EF. There are no outright and famous key dates such as the 1909-S VDB Lincoln, 1916-D Mercury or even the 1896-S, 1901-S and 1913-S troika of Barber quarters. However, there is a seemingly endless procession of horribly scarce issues. They pepper the series throughout its length and various mintmarks. The obvious ones include the O and S mints from 1892 and 1897, the 1901-S and 1904-S and the P mint coins of 1913 through 1915. Difficult coins that are somewhat under the glare of the previous mentioned include the O and S mints from 1893 and 1896 and the 1898-O. Much of the rest of the series is viewed as "generic", which is mind-boggling. Sleepers include the 1894 and 1903, among others. Truly, there are only a few coins in the entire run that are ever available with little effort in this grade range, these include the 1906-D, 1908-D, 1910-S and 1915-D. Nearly everything is difficult.

The 1913 through 1915 Philadelphia issues are difficult because of the extremely limited mintages for each. These three coins have some of the lowest mintages of any regular issue US coin in the twentieth century, yet prices for entry level coins are significantly lower than for other issues with comparable mintages. The 1901-S and 1904-S issues are not scarce throughout the entire grade range as they are fairly available, and priced fairly low, through VG8, after this point they become progressively more difficult to obtain with the 1904-S acclaimed as the undisputed King of mid-grade Barber halves. The O and S mint coins from 1892 and 1893 are nearly non-existent in grades above G4 through EF40, however, each becomes much more available as the grade progresses above EF40. This is likely because they were the first issues for this series from these mints and the coinage was saved quickly from circulation at a higher rate than other years. The remaining coins listed from 1896-1898 are also available in AG3 almost exclusively. This appears to have been due to very hard usage of the coins during their time of issue coupled with their small mintages and presence in the middle of the series so that very few people were actively removing the coins from circulation while they were still in mid-grades. Also, the O mint coins are fairly poorly struck, which results in mushy coins that lack fine details. The prototypical example of this is the 1898-O that is viewed by many non-Barber collectors as a generic coin, yet that is also perhaps the toughest coin to find from F12 through EF40.

Unlike today, half dollars were a workhorse of the economy when Barber coinage was issued. These coins saw continuous usage and were not saved in any great numbers. This is evidenced by the sheer volume of AG/G Barbers that are available at any show or on the web. David Feigenbaum had estimated that the average grade of extant Barbers is only about AG3 or slightly better. That is incredibly low and is even more amazing when one considers the numbers of low-grade coins that were likely melted in the '70s and '80s silver booms.

Mid-grade coins that are nearly a century or more old should look like they spent time in circulation and should have surfaces that do not look as though they were minted last year. Generally, as Barber halves progress down the grading scale, they will have darker areas gather around the periphery of the obverse and along the edges of the reverse devices. These areas may make the open fields look less dark, though still deeply shaded in a grey and auburn mix. Luster is rarely evident at the VF30 grade and, if it is there, it should typically cling around raised and protected devices such as the obverse stars or date. It should also be covered with a layer of patina that masks it. Coins that have been stored for significant periods of time can take on almost a cameo appearance with very dark edges and lighter colored devices in shades of rose or cinnamon.

Thanks for posting Tom's article and thanks to Tom for writing it!!! I'd be sitting on a gold mine if all my coins were problem free. As it is it is cool to have 2 1/2 complete sets of dimes. All three 1895-Os are off at ANACS as well as a couple of other dimes, the 1913-S quarter and a dozen or more Halves.

I do have an 1893-S Half here. PM me if interested.

1893s-half-o.jpg

1893s-half-r.jpg

Carl, I need the following Barber Quarters:

1892S

1893S

1895O

1897S

1898S

1899O

1899S

1900O

1900S

1902O

1903S

1905O

1907O

Let me know if you have any half-way decent, AG/VG pieces. Thanks.

Victor

If you are taking requests cool.gif

Dimes 92o s, 94 p s, 95, 96o s, 97 o s, 98s, 01s, 03s, 04s, 08o, 09s

Quarters 92 o,s, 97s, 98s, 99s, 02o, 03s, 05, 06o, 11d, 12s

I appreciate your time and effort. thumbsup2.gif Thanks

I do have some of those quarters. Let me get photos tomorrow. Most of this collection seems to have been cleaned so you will have to judge if the coin works for you.

Quarters I have here from your list include:

1892-S

1893-S

1897-S

1899-S

1900-O

1900-S

Can you access the photos on this link: Barber Quarters ? I put preliminary photos of the quarters requested there.

Since you are looking (assuming the link works) do you have any idea what the blobs of metal are on the reverse of the 1900-O? The 1899-S has something on it but it isn't nearly as yellow as shows in the photo - should I soak this coin in acetone?

The 1897-S has the mint mark much farther to the right than the other coins. There was a 2'nd 1893-S in the wrong slot so I don't have a '92-S like I thought I did.

Dimes:

I have 2 1/2 albums of dimes. I picked the complete album with what looks like poorer coins on average and have started listing them on eBay. 1911 - 1916 are currently listed. I am planning on listing 1906 - 1910 Sunday. Dimes 1906-1910. I am working my way back, then will do the 1/2 album then the better full album. I will try to get ahead with photos and post links here as they are available.

I don't have an answer for the 1900 O but I have a couple of coins identical to the '99 S. It kind of looks like tape residue to me but I haven't tried to clean it off, yet. I bet acetone would work.

Granted that these coins have problems but, if your price is reasonable, then I would still like the coins.

And, the 1913 S. Great date. How much do you want for this one as well?

Thanks, Carl. I appreciate your time.

vic

I will try acetone on that '99-S and report back. The '13-S is off to ANACS and I will price it based on the grade. I'm open to offers on the quarters you want. PM me with an offer if you like or I will work up some prices this weekend and PM you.

OK it has been soaking for 5 hours or so. Should I try to gently rub the yellow areas with a all natural J&J Q-Tip cotton swab? I ask because it didn't magically disappear as I was hoping it would. wink.gif

OK it has been soaking for 5 hours or so. Should I try to gently rub the yellow areas with a all natural J&J Q-Tip cotton swab? I ask because it didn't magically disappear as I was hoping it would. wink.gif

If it's a circulated coin, just rub it lightly with your thumb while in the acetone. Should come right off.

I will try acetone on that '99-S and report back. The '13-S is off to ANACS and I will price it based on the grade. I'm open to offers on the quarters you want. PM me with an offer if you like or I will work up some prices this weekend and PM you.

Carl, just PM me a price. Thanks.

Victor

21 different Barber Dimes from 1897 to 1905 are listed on eBay and will end tomorrow (Sunday 15'th).

Next week I have over 20 different coins, many better dates from 1892 to 1896.

Thanks for looking!