• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1897 Indian Head Cent "one in neck"

4 posts in this topic

I'm trying this again, having gotten it completely wrong the first time. I looked in Cherrypicker's and the auction photo does not look like that of the Cherrypicker's guide. The auction photo makes the coin look like only a vague shadow of a "1" whereas the CP guide makes the "1" appear clear and quite distinct. Here's the auction photo re-worked:

1722471-1897neck1.jpg

With the CP guide, the top serif of the 1 is quite distinct and basically at the level of the neck in terms of relief. The upright of the 1 is far less distinct than the shadow in the auction photo. I'd put up a scan of the PC photo, but I don't feel comfortable with the copyright infringement.

Hoot

1722471-1897neck1.jpg.7f2f172836eeef57f8744db9af89d2ab.jpg

I would have to say that, yes, it is a 1 in neck, just a weaker example not worth much premium. - OR - It is just a unique toning spot that gives it the appearance. Hard to say 100% from the picture.