• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Want a rare nickel?

5 posts in this topic

A 1964 SMS Jefferson is selling today on Teletrade. No pic, 4 hours left in the auction, and the current bid is $7000 laugh.gif. Granted, only about 20 of 'em known and this one is an MS67 (one of 2) - the highest graded. Wish I had the guns to buy this one! laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

1964 SMS Jeff, MS67

Hoot

Hoot,

Number may be less than 20 when you count all the crackouts and regrades. This one is rare in that many are FS, and this is not designated as such. I wish that the true circumstances surrounding these 1964 SMS pieces could be brought to light. Seems that nothing is known about them except that they exist, and I haven't seen an answer that everyone seems to agree to.

I want one. I wouldn't bid on this one. At least not without a close up. I would expect special mint set coins to have a good strike. Especially if they were the ones from 1964. Now if I could see it was a great strike, maybe a little cameo, ..., naw, too expensive.

Wish I had known how high the bids went, but the coin was not sold! Seems like Teletrade would be a lousey venue for such a rarity!

Hoot

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

The 1964 specimen strikings have a uniformly satin finish, so they will never appear cameo. I've seen a number of these pieces and authenticated the first known examples for NGC in 1995. Their strikes typically are sharp, though not equal to those of true proofs. I suspect that ones not designated FS are simply the result of an oversight, though I haven't seen every example.