• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Washington Quarters 1942 S and 1953 D/S???

7 posts in this topic

Here are two Wash. Quarters, 1942 S and a 1953 D. I am trying to determine whether or not to send either or both in for grading. Opinions on the 1942 S condition are welcome as are opinions on whether or not the 1953 D is a D/S or other multiple mintmark. Trying to decide if it is worthwhile to send them in.

Thanks for the help.

Rey (rbrown4)

IMG_0684.jpg

IMG_0683.jpg

IMG_0686-1.jpg

IMG_0679.jpg

Rey it all depends on what you wish to do with these coins. Most of my coins are raw, but I do see the appeal of slabs to people. If you plan to sell them, then have them slabbed. The 42 S is a better date and is tough in 65 and above. Your coin givin the luster is there is MS 66 at least. The 1953 RPM(Repunched Mntmark) is MS 64 to MS 65 on a good day. I cannot tell you which RPM it is from the photos. I hope this helps. You might gander over to my sigline and take a look at some quarters in MS 66, MS 65 and MS 64. That might help you get a better idea of what you got.

Hey Rey

Two nice washington's. Is there a ding or dent at 3:00 on the 1942 obv? If it will slab at MS63 or higher it might be worth slabbing.

The 1953 D--I cannot make out from this photo anything about the mintmark. If placed under a microscope one might be able to decipher the mintmark and if it is an overstamp, either way it would have to grade MS63 or higher to warrant the expense of slabbing.

I personally like to slab coins I am going to keep and resell as they last better and resell higher--according to the cost I have in the coin determines whether I can or not..

Just my opinion.

Jim

Hey guys, thank you for the input it is much appreciated. I have only had a few of my quarters slabbed so I am still a little leary of what they can grade at. The 1942 has a slight mark at 3:00, not a ding or dent but I light very small mark of some sort. Otherwise the luster is there. The mintmark on the 1953 looks to me much like one of the varieties listed in the CP guide which shows three versions of multiple overpunched mint marks. This one appears to be the second of the three-MDS. They are labeled EDS, MDS and LDS in the pictures but I can not determine what those acronyms stand for.

Thanks again for the assist.

Rey

EDS = Early Die State

MDS = Mid Die State

LDS = Late Die State

This just referrs to the the time the coin was struck in relation to the die usage.

I can't tell you anything about your 1953 based upon the images, but the 1942-S looks like a very attractive coin. It may very well be an MS66, but I think the MS64-MS66 grade range is more appropriate since it also might be dipped out.

I agree with Bruce on the grading. I think the 42S would be a MS66 based on the photo. The 53 has a tough obverse, probably grade MS64. I don't know too much about the RPM added value. The 42S would definitely be worthwhile slabbing.