• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Can we PLEASE take SMS coins out of Buisness strike slots!

19 posts in this topic

Is anybody at NGC ever going to overlook any check modern registry sets for people listing SMS coins in Buisness strike slots, and unfairly gaining a large number of points?

On one hand I agree with you, but on the other hand it must be realized that many of the highest graded business strike coins were taken directly from US Mint Sets. Therefore, quite a few coins within the registry have already come from traditional Mint Sets, though not from the SMS issues.

I have Pride that MY Sacagawea set has ONLY business Strikes - I know what it is, What it took to build it to be that way. Still on the hunt for tough BUSINESS strikes like 2005 is tough and 2003-d - Best I could find in 2005 is 67's - I found on oddball 67pl for 2003-d ... the hunt is fun for this group of coins

Points don't bother me let them have thier SMS's

I see one registry set has multiple PCGS coins listed as MS worth 1505 points each, but a cert verification lookup of the numbers at PCGS shows the coins to be SMS. This gains one collector 2586 points on two coins alone. 893whatthe.gif Check that, this lucky collector gains 3803 points on three coins alone. insane.gif

• Administrator
I see one registry set has multiple PCGS coins listed as MS worth 1505 points each, but a cert verification lookup of the numbers at PCGS shows the coins to be SMS. This gains one collector 2586 points on two coins alone. 893whatthe.gif Check that, this lucky collector gains 3803 points on three coins alone. insane.gif

Please send me a pm with the name of the set so I can check it out.

IMHO, many of us don't want to buy duplicate moderns just to have non-SMS coins. I buy a couple mint sets each year which provide the coins that I need for sets. No offence intended, but I do not really care if they are SMS finish or not.

NGC HIRED an expert to review the points on the registry. they have dropped points on 2007 coins. they are trying to make it fairer. i would allow ANACS BUT ICG grades too liberally. so many high grades and much cheaper than NGC coins. no ICG. foreheadslap.gif

NGC needs to make Satin Finish its own set. Its hurting the business strikes by saying there is no difference between the two. And I have yet to find a SMS coin in my pocket change and I am still looking (lol). Take a look at the 2006 mint sets for example. There are only a handful of true Business strike sets all the rest are Satin Finish (mine include). Another thing take a look at the population reports, the Satin Finish coins were submitted in much larger quanities for about every coin giving many coins with high MS69 pops. and some series with MS70's!!!!. While the business strikes have some series (nickels) with the highest grades being ms67!!!!. At the very least NGC should add another slot as RAPP suggested because there is a difference. Who cares if that means acquiring another coin, thats what coin collecting is all about, collecting all the coins in the series. My raw Sacagawea set includes all the coins (minus Goodacre, Cheerios) Business Strike, Satin Finish, and Proofs even the Millennium. And thats how it should be, "You don't just leave one out because you have one "similar" that's not a complete set and that's not collecting it's called Choosing". JL3Eleven

<< Is anybody at NGC ever going to overlook any check modern registry sets for people listing SMS coins in Buisness strike slots, and unfairly gaining a large number of points? >>

I guess not.

See MADavis Statehood Quarters 1999-Date

http://www.collectors-society.com/registry/coins/mysets_listing.aspx?PeopleSetID=1305

Note the Owner's Description for the 2006-P NORTH DAKOTA 2509754-022:

"No SMS designation from NGC - Sent in with the rest of the 2006 UNC set in it's original packaging. Is it worth more without the "SMS" on the holder?"

There are so many SMS coins labelled as "business strike" that I am losing confidence. What do you think?

Of course! As I mentioned in my prior posts, I submitted about 7 North Dakota quarters (hand picked from 4 bank rolls - 160 coins) for submission. Only 4 cam back as 67, the other 3 came back as 66.

First of all, it is not easy to get BU roll from the bank (unless you pay premium from US Mint). Then, the percentage of the coins that worth to slab is low. In my case 4 out of 160.

But if one can blindly submit a mint set for grading and the mimimum grade will be 67, then where is the fun of searching for a good quality coin?

Not to mention the MS-67 ND quarter (business strike, not SMS) is only listed as $11.25. This top pop coin is cheaper than the grading fee!!!!!!

I think they need to make two different sets.

1. Buisness Strike Set

2. Satin Finish Set

I don't like the new way with the business and sms in the same set.

I think they need to make two different sets.

1. Buisness Strike Set

2. Satin Finish Set

I don't like the new way with the business and sms in the same set.

Ditto - Its all in the money WE have to spend now to make a COMPLETE set in thier Minds.

I really have an issue with my SAC set with the SMS's in there - IT SHOULD BE A REGULAR BUSINESS CLASS SET yet they put the SMS in there to make it complete - right ! Wrong !

argggghhhh

<< Is anybody at NGC ever going to overlook any check modern registry sets for people listing SMS coins in Buisness strike slots, and unfairly gaining a large number of points? >>

No.

I am <<"unfairly gaining a large number of points">> in my registry set.

I have a satin finish SMS MS69 coin which is in a NGC MS69 holder. It is a pop 3 coin, and it's likely the other 2 coins from the same batch are also SMS. However, "The NGC Guarantee does not apply to clerical errors on the label.". I guess I'll just keep the widget and continue to gain a large number of points in my registry set.

meh

One problem that I have first hand experience with: Coins graded/labeled wrong...

I am not sure if the grader or the labeler makes the call whether a coin is sms or business strike, but the process should be scrutinized..

The reason I mention this is because I hand picked through several "rolls" of 2006 sacs and sent 'em in for grading.

I got back a mixed box of sms and business strike labeled coins....

I did ask how this could happen, but never really got a clear answer.

I guess I am missing something here. I have all the State Quarters from 1999 including the ones in Silver directly from the Mint.I also have all the Proof Sets from 1968 and the Mint sets from 1970.

Why would I pay $12.50 to have each quarter graded so I could get 41 points in a registry set?

I can send in a Morgan and pay $16.00 for grading and get better than 4 times the number of points . I can send in a Proof or unc. a.s.e. for $12.50 and get more points and still have the Silver value as opposed to the Quarters.