• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I've posted this 1820 quarter before, but here's new images (WARNING:dialuppers)

12 posts in this topic

Beautiful AU55 example IMHO. Is their pitting on the obverse below the chin and possibly on the cheek? One pic looks like it the other does not.

Regardless a beautiful coin.

Jim

The difference in your images run between gloss and flat, not sure which I like better. The flat pictures show off very nice toning, but lacks the luster of the first set. The gloss images, show the luster but hold back the toning.

Putting the two sets together in my mind, I can tell you its a beauty.

I wish I could add something positive to this other than just saying that it looks like a great specimen, James, but you probably know that early coinage is not my forte. What I find interesting, though, is how the chatter in the reverse field tends to disappear when you attempt to capture the toning.

Chris

Would that possibly be a '58? Looks very nice, but I bet that toning is way better in hand. Definitely a keeper!

The surfaces are really odd on that coin. In the first image, they look prooflike. In the second, they look like they were over dipped which wiped out the luster and have since retoned. My guess is, the coin is one of those that is incredibly difficult to image and would need to be seen in hand to appreciate the coin.

JJ

Very nice details on a tough date CBQ, but the overall toning I see from your pictures, simply does not look right. As has been mentioned, maybe the PL is making it look like the toning is off, but it is not.

Are you able to use a scanner to give us something else to use for analysis? Set it about 600 dpi, and we should be able to see things not showing in you pictures.

Hi James,

This one does look tough to capture in pics. The first 2 pics show off the luster and tend to give a better idea of the wear on the coin as opposed to any striking weakness (see the drapery at the bustline for example compared to the same area in the second set of pics). That with the break in the field puts this one in the low AU category.

As for the color- the coin looks to my eyes like a previously dipped coin (not harshly dipped, but dipped nevertheless) that is re-toning with the usual re-toned colors and hues.

I like it. It is a nice coin. As to value---I don't know so I won't guess and be way off.

beautiful coin... I thought I saw a bit of rub on the first two images...but it seamed to disappear in the second two and just looked like strike weakness...tough to tell a definitive grade...I'd venture a guess at AU55 (ish)...perhaps 58???

Leo

I do want to say that this coin is not original, and would never pass as such (I didn't buy it as such, either, although I paid real money for it). I am carrying it in inventory as a cleaned slider (net AU or lower), and I'm sure the toning is post-cleaning. However, there is something quite remarkable about the prooflike appearance of this coin. Certainly, a careful cleaning could enhance the reflectivity, but I don't know how cameo characteristics could have been applied with such precision. Again, it's tough to explain and even to image, but it is a weirdly attractive coin. I'll try the scan idea when I get a chance.

I do want to say that this coin is not original, and would never pass as such (I didn't buy it as such, either, although I paid real money for it). I am carrying it in inventory as a cleaned slider (net AU or lower), and I'm sure the toning is post-cleaning. However, there is something quite remarkable about the prooflike appearance of this coin. Certainly, a careful cleaning could enhance the reflectivity, but I don't know how cameo characteristics could have been applied with such precision. Again, it's tough to explain and even to image, but it is a weirdly attractive coin. I'll try the scan idea when I get a chance.

There is a special draw to older bust coinage with PL fields like this coin.

This is a nice example. If the coin had not been dipped the fields might be tough to see under the normal tarnish an old silver coin normally acquires. Back in say..the 1850's when this one was a few decades old I am sure they did not know how to prevent the normal oxidation process.