• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Who Bought Any Cool Coins At The ANA?

22 posts in this topic

I was able to purchase a few really neat coins at the just concluded ANA in Baltimore. The attachment is for a 1939 Washington quarter. This is an easy coin to find in a high level of preservation as there were likely several rolls of this date that were saved. However, finding this coin with terrific color is extremely tough. The piece in the attachment is graded NGC MS66* and is really what I would call comfortably within the MS67 grade and closer to MS68 than MS66. That's okay, it would likely have cost significantly more if in an MS67 holder. Since the attachment is only a scan, it is difficult to get the true feel of the colors; let me simply state that they boom and the luster is very strong. The reverse, near the top, has deeper, thicker patina and is the only place where the luster does not come cascading through.

So, who else bought cool coins? smile.gif

230149-QWQ39NGC66.jpg.b6d9814fa36951bab94a7ab655dc4814.jpg

Very nice quarter Tom! I also bought a very nice 39 quarter that had a nice thick white skin on it. Excellent coin, easily MS66 and in the raw it was dirt cheap! BUT here's a "big" win of mine from the B&M auction (that I thought I had lost all bids in!): it's a wonderful piece from Bill Fivaz's excellent buffalo nickel collection (see attachment). I feel very lucky to have won the coin. It has a slight weakness in the top of LIBERTY but is needle sharp elsewhere. This 1928-S is a very rare coin in MS65 (which it is) and above (highest = 66), and I've never seen one with as stunning of a reverse or central details of the Indian's hair. Sorry about the fuzzy pic.

Hoot

230178-519.jpg.097baa80f1e4ed4965b9fc34fc644453.jpg

Hi Tom, looks like a lot of vibrant color would come flashing off that piece. Very nice. Wish I could have made the show. Had to stay around town and pick up a couple more Walkers. smile.gif

One I bought can be seen here. This is the actual coin being advertised. I purchased it at the show. Not a US coin, but one I got because I just really liked it. Working on getting a scan/pic of the sweet Indian cent I picked up.

I sharpened the image a bit, and it shows a little more of the exquisite detail of the coin.

Hoot

230248-519.jpg.0f7c5e72a091aeab0bd8bbb544d53074.jpg

Very cool! smile.gif

Hoot, your coin looks like a medal, and Dermott, I like the variety that you are going into; you do not seem to be wed to a single issue.

Who else bought cool stuff?

TomB,

I've got a semi-Baltimore purchase that I am waiting to receive from the dealer. It comes from a grouping of new purchases that the dealer added after getting back from the show. It will be the most expensive coin in my Type set, as well as the oldest. Pics will be shown as soon as it arrives.

you do not seem to be wed to a single issue.

I guess you could say that... my favorite set (one that remains an "in progress" project and which I ordered the Eagle notebook album) is my Major US Type set grin.gif

Way cool coin, Newmismatist! smile.gif

Did you realize that that pattern was available directly from the US Mint as part of a twelve piece pattern cent set? Imagine buying a few of those? shocked.gif

wow all the coins posted on here are special have great eye appeal

hoot that buff really is a great super eye appealling coin

same for that 1903 indian cent

thatpattern 1859 cent is really REALLY great on the eye appeal

it looks good in the ngc white holder really good

michael

Wow! I just checked back in on this thread after a couple of days - WOW! GREAT coins! I can hardly believe those IHCs! cool.gifcool.gifcool.gif I had NO IDEA that the Mint ever sold patterns as sets or parts of sets. I truly cannot imagine what it would be like to have an original 12 piece set as you described Tom! cloud9.gif

Newmismatist - I believe I briefly checked out your display, but I was generally in such a hurry (only had 1 and 1/2 days 893frustrated.gif) that I missed the theme of the display! Arrrgh. There were some truly stuning displays there that I'd have loved to have spent hours at. Congrats on your win!

Hoot

Here's a link to a collage of the 12 piece pattern set form my ANA Exhibit

http://www.indianheads.org/Patterns.html

The photos of my coins were taken by Shylock - (he does the Indianheads.org website) and he does a wonderful job - Unfortunately, I can't upload the individual pictures - someone will have to pm me with instruction as to how to do this properly - maybe my images are too large (or maybe I'm too computer illiterate)

- I bought a couple of new patterns at the ANA, but these particular ones are the coins from my display - I haven't taken photos of my other NEWPs yet - the earlier J-212 was a new ANA purchase - these Patterns are really cool coins

I tried doing a test to see if I could post one of those IHC's....

Sorry. My test didn't work. If the pictures are stored at Shylock's site you need to get the address to the pics. If you can get that I can show you how to post the pic INSIDE your post instead of doing an attachment.

jom