• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pre 1955 Proof Sets

10 posts in this topic

Is it best to buy these proof sets already broken out or left in their mint packaging? It appears that the mint packaging may not be the best thing for these but it also looks as if the ones that are in holders have been worked over.

Many people put the early proof sets in Capitol Plastic Holders. If you buy any on Ebay in the mint packaging or in the holders make sure they have a good return policy so you can examine what you are getting.

I also noticed that it easier, economically, to get these pre 55 sets in the capital holders. That may be the route I have to take to get these myself.

As in all things, it depends.

What sort of shape is the original packaging in? If it's in pretty good shape then leaving it alone is certainly an option, particularly if the coins themselves are pleasant but nothing spectacular. If the packaging is falling apart then definitely get the coins into another holder. If the coins are nice I'd take 'em out of the original packaging in any case. Those staples can cause real mischieve with the coins.

Thanks for all the advice. I don't have any but am looking at some on Ebay. Some of the ones in unopened boxes are kind of pricey, I really haven't liked what I have seen in the capital plastic holders as of yet.

Dwaine I have proof sets from 1954 to present. 1953 and back get pretty pricey. That's why I say if you buy any off Ebay make sure they have a good return policy. It is very difficult to see what you are getting from most pictures. Good Luck!

The way the packing tape is placed onto the original mint boxes (1955 and pre-1955 the tape crossing over all four sides) that, along with the hand pasted on shipping label, one would think you'd see obvious intrusion into so-called sealed boxes. But then again, locks are made for honest people.

(moisture in the form of humidity is the enemy of most early dated proof sets, along with that dreaded steel staple)

Buy ones only collected and stored in the Mojave Desert area, like say from Death Valley.

Also, those already housed in Capitol holders are sometimes mixed and matched and priced accordingly…meaning they probably did not all come from the same mint box.

If you like surprizes, buying unopened proof sets is like being dealt a hand of Black Jack...beat the dealer, 21 or bust!

I have seen the UNOPENED box ones and I would be very leary as depending on the humidity of the area where they are from - the staples are known to rust and 'destroy' the coins. I would rather go for a SEEN mix amd match than an unseen POS rusted set of coins.

I wonder if NCS has ever tried to conserve rusted coins from a Proof Box 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I have a both unopened and and opened for each year from 1950 to 1955. I believe the unopened premium is worth it. My opened boxes are in beautiful shape, the coins are super.

When buying on E-Bay take the time to call the seller and talk to him. Create relationships with sellers. I will pay a bit more with a seller I've made a relationship with then just trying to save money.