• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Love tokens at the Baltimore show?

5 posts in this topic

I was wondering if anyone could tell me which dealers will have love tokens (engraved coins) at the Baltimore show. It's going to be my first time attending and I've started a small collection of these..

Also, I've been lurking for a while and wanted to say thank you to everyone contributing such an amazing depth and breadth of knowledge to this board.

I'd assume that there would be some kind of token dealer there. Whether or not he/she deals specifically in Love Tokens is hit or miss in my opinion.

There was one dealer at the ANA Charlotte show last weekend that had a ton of tokens, and if i remember correctly, a large assortment of Love Tokens. I don't recall the name of the dealer unfortunately.

Welcome to the forum! hi.gif

Love tokens are a generic name for coins that have had one side ground flat and then engraved. During Victorian times it was common to engrave initials or sometimes a pictorial scene and give it as a token of love or affection. I don't have any of mine imaged but here are two that I think are great.644.jpgcan-derwood.jpg

The first I was outbid on at the most recent Rosenblum auction. It was engraved for a British soldier in WWI on an Egyptian coin. The second has an amazing scenic view and is part of Ken Barr's collection at http://www.kenbarr.com/lovetokens.html

Although these are a couple of foreign hosts, they are often found on US seated dimes.