• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2007 Gold Buffalo

8 posts in this topic

I recently bought a 2007 Gold Buffalo that arrived sealed in plastic(?) from the mint. Should I leave the coin in the wrapper or remove it and place into an airtite to preserve it from possible hits? Advice welcome here. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I would remove the coin from the soft plastic not only to protect it from hits, but to protect it from possible PVC damage as well.

John

I'll secodn that! thumbsup2.gif Hard to believe that the Mint put those in PVC based plastic. And it's reported to melt in summer temps and come open in winter cold temps! flamed.gif

Hoot

Thanks Hoot and John. It's coming out tonight. I was almost afraid to handle it for fear of doing something to damage it. But I got the cotton gloves and will be sure to do it carefully on the table. Would you recommend having this slabbed for safety? Or is a sure fit airtite good enough? hi.gif

Personally, I find these coins so soft, that I'd recommend having it in a hard plastic holder (of some sort) if you're keeping it for a collection. I don't know if Coin World slabs are available for those, but you could check amosadvantage.com. Otherwise, it might be good to have it sent to NGC/PCGS, etc.

Hoot

Cindyd, I have a 2006 Gold Buffalo. They are great coins. Congratulations.

I was quite excited to get this. I would like to slab it, but I don't have enough gold coins to send in at one time. Why does NGC require at least 5 coins at a time per tier? It would sure be easier on the little guy if they would just make it 5 total. I know that there must be a good reason for this and would really like to know what it is. I am just starting to try to obtain some quality coins along with some just plain fun types. Most of what I already have were messed with at some time, either before I got them or after. . foreheadslap.gif These forums have really helped me begin to know what to look for in a coin, and what to avoid. The info here is fascinating, to say the least. Ya'll keep posting and I'll keep reading. wink.gif

Cindy,

If you haven't already removed it from the packaging I would be in no hurry. As stated above, these coins are very easy to damage and it is more likely that you would damage it removing it than that it would be damaged by the wrapper. I've slabbed very many of these and I always sent them to the TPG in the mint container. No need taking any chances.

--Jerry