• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is NGC's Long Range Goals to Become Number One?

16 posts in this topic

It's getting close. Real close. Between PCGS foobaring it all over the place what with poor customer service (reported by many) and off the wall grading and crossovers, and with NGC tightening up on the overall consistency scale, what does NGC need to do, short term and long term, to become the Number One Grading Service?

What specifically would you have them do if you owned/ran the company?

I would aggressively buy up all of the coins in NGC holders that were slabbed in the early '90s where the grade was based too heavily on technically clean surfaces at the expense of eye appeal. Specifically, I would limit the purchases to coins such as MS66 or better 20th century coins since these are the coins where the perceived superiority of PCGS is often touted. I believe that this would tighten the Bluesheet, which I consider a generally worthless rag, and consequently improve the perception of the product issued.

Tom,

I wonder if some of those coins are already starting to be returned through Appearance Review or NCS? Seems I am seeing fewer coins in NGC holders that I would consider as just plain butt ugly when walking around shows.

what does NGC need to do, short term and long term, to become the Number One Grading Service?

That is quite simple, do what they have been doing. Grade coins consistently, keep return times excellent as they have, and perhaps a bit more of boasting of NCS in my opinion. This coupled with excellent customer service and the little things they do(like calling customers, even if once in a blue moon) is what makes me think this company wants me to do business with them.

They(NGC) has nothing to do to be #1, PCGS is taking care of themselves. Their apparent lack of administrative control is stunnig. Their customer service is absolutely terrible, no person who is paying their paychecks(the submitters) should have to endure their moaning and groaning and negative attitudes. For example, I took advantage of the 4 coin/catalog/pop report deal for $25. I called, signed up my wife for one membership, as well as myself, and was specifically told there was no problem with each of us having a membership to take advantage of the CoinWorld deal. No calls, mail, e-mail, nothing for 5 weeks. Called, the girl asked me how I knew they haven't charged my credit card, I politely told her that I called my CC company and they told me they have not. She said, "hold on" very rudely and abrubtly, put me on hold for 5 minutes, came back and asked for my name and brought it up. Told me, "oh, looks like we didn't get your date of expiration on your card" which I told her, and she said "ok, I got it now." I was shocked, no thanks for calling back, thanks for ordering products that helps provide me a job, no F U, nothing, so I said OK, and hung up. Had to call 3 weeks later after getting the first package(why can't they send it all at once?guess 3 shipments costing them $10 or so doesn't matter, instead of $6 one time) and the same girl answered, told me the deal didn't apply but one per household, and was very abrubt with me again. They will get my 4 free submissions, but that is it.

Rule 1: You can't offer service levels that which you can't deliver. That is one of the fastest ways to lose customers. Rule 2: You have to make a return-on-investment to shareholders.

This epic struggle between PCGS/NGC appears to be a Customer Service war-of-attrition. NGC seems to be handling this strategy well. Can they exploit it more? This is all out war! Go for it! Another strategy that comes to mind is promotion. Both co's offer free slabs for membership dues. No advantage there. However, maybe offering volume discounts (submit 10, get one free). More promotion of the NCS linkage with NGC Certification. NGC is already playing the market segmentation strategy on moderns.

I found in business that TQM (Total Quality Managment), even process control management actually costs less and delivers high customer satisfaction (no fingerprints, no contamination in slabs). Customers negatively vote with their check books mostly because of lousy customer service.

I'm inclined to agree with TomB, as I've certainly seen occasional NGC graded coins that in my opinion clearly didn't make the grade. The web sites (NGC and Collector's Society) could benefit from a few usability improvements. Other than that, however, I'd keep on keeping on. They're doing a great job meeting turnaround times and delivering high quality customer support. The new Multi Coin holder is an exciting innovation produced in response to customer inquiries. I look forward to further such refinements from the folks in Sarasota.

Regards,

Beijim

I'm amazed that more gains haven't been made against PCGS. They seem to leave the door open for their competitors again and again. NGC grading doesn't excite me. I see too many marginal coins in their holders. They have also made a BIG mistake in awarding MS/PF 70 grades. The company that could really make gains if they ever get their marketing act together is ANACS. ICG and SEGS seem to be achieving invisibility. Who knows were PCI is? The other players are not a factor.

What often gets lost in the conversation about grading companies is the fact that they are companies and provide a service. Over the years every company tries new ideas, makes mistakes, grows and hopefully learns. There is no doubt that PCGS has a very top notch team of graders, as does NGC. NGC needs to keep doing what they are currently doing, providing good customer service and innovative products.

I don't know how you define number #1, submission numbers, consistency of grades, prices, customer service etc. It seems in at least three catagories NGC is number one.

I think this will continue to be the case unless and until CU changes its business model and hires some management expertise at PCGS. It appears that this is happening at the other divisions of the company. If the market gets tired of the problems that issue will be attended to. Until that happens, unfortunately it will be business as usual at PCGS.

NGC has subtly taken the approach of "we're not number one, you are" in dealing with the people who submit coins for grading to their service. In my book, that already makes them number one, and they don't really have to do anything to change that. As more and more people get fed up with other grading services, they will see the difference.

"More promotion of the NCS linkage with NGC Certification. NGC is already playing the market segmentation strategy on moderns."

Promotion of their slab and company. I would say promote NCS more with sample slabs and get the word out there how good their new slab and label is.

Cameron Kiefer

Cameron, how will PCGS respond when they discover you are providing sound advice to NGC on how to trounce PCGS?

SportModerator is likely to change your handle, again.

Promotion of their slab and company. I would say promote NCS more with sample slabs and get the word out there how good their new slab and label is.

I think the fact that most major auction houses will sell the NCS slab, and Teletrade even having a special NCS day, should help that.

Cameron, how will PCGS respond when they discover you are providing sound advice to NGC on how to trounce PCGS?

I don't think he would change it just because I mention more sample slabs.

Cameron Kiefer

Ahhhh, I see you edited out your excellent set of suggestions.

Smart move. I think PCGS is keeping tabs on you by reading your posts over here.

hahaha, c'mon Cameron, aren't you willing to stand behind your words? lol, you better go back to the kiddie pool and have some Kool-Aid.

edited to add: I was trying to antagonize you Cam, don't take it too serious, you seem like a smart young guy with potential. Just had to pick on you about that one, sorry. smile.gif