• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bust half question

12 posts in this topic

Just out of curiosity, the area just next to the bust face on this coin has a gap between the coloring of the coin and the edge of the face--Does this mean the coin has been touched up and they just didn't get the job done, or can this be normal. I feel it is touched up due to the odd color which may be the background and lighting. What do you think?

Thanks

Jim 1834busthalfobv.jpg

1834busthalfobv-1.jpg Inside the circle you can see where the coloration of the coin stops just short of the edge of the face(such as nose, eye, and forhead-is this normal or a sign of tampering with the color of the coin?

I think you are misunderstanding my question--I am not intending to buy this coin for the contamination reason and another, what I am asking is if the gap in discoloration at the bust face is indicative of an attempt at coloring or covering something up, or is it normal--that's all.

Thanks

Jim

This coin is too light to be original IMHO. I think it was likely dipped or washed some time ago. I’m not exactly clear on what you mean by the area in front of the face. Do you have any image editing software that you could circle the area in question?

I have not seen a late date Bust Half with such an area in the field above the nose, certainly not mint caused. It must be either tooled, or graffiti.

What your seeing there is, what is for a better lack of a description, the transition between the devices and the fields. You will notice the same halo areas around the stars...the surface metal in the fields around the raised device has a different texture to it, do in part to having the hardness of the metal instantly changed. The flow lines of the coin radiate from the high center and flow outward as the die strikes. This all happens in a fraction of a second but that strike forever puts down those different harnesses.

You have to think that the metal on a flat planchet flows up and into the center devices of the striking die as well as moving outward and up into the outer devices as well. When a coin ages, these transition areas change differently than the rest of the coin and it is most noticeable with the luster and then with toning. These areas will stand out after a cleaning and then a re-tone, as in the case of the coin depicted.

Modern day coin doctors miss these areas at times due to a liquid cohesion factor as they paint the surfaces with reactive chemicals. Nooks and crannies have a tendency to avoid complete coverage simply do to physics, dirt, grime or microscopic film.

Do I need to add a disclaimer or is that already implied?

Hum…hard to say. I have this one, which is original and has some similar shading issues around the face. I would look first for a thicker-skinned coin and then concern myself with the finer details. I think you will be able to look over many more coins that way.

1827.JPG

What your seeing there is, what is for a better lack of a description, the transition between the devices and the fields. You will notice the same halo areas around the stars...the surface metal in the fields around the raised device has a different texture to it, do in part to having the hardness of the metal instantly changed. The flow lines of the coin radiate from the high center and flow outward as the die strikes. This all happens in a fraction of a second but that strike forever puts down those different harnesses.

You have to think that the metal on a flat planchet flows up and into the center devices of the striking die as well as moving outward and up into the outer devices as well. When a coin ages, these transition areas change differently than the rest of the coin and it is most noticeable with the luster and then with toning. These areas will stand out after a cleaning and then a re-tone, as in the case of the coin depicted.

Modern day coin doctors miss these areas at times due to a liquid cohesion factor as they paint the surfaces with reactive chemicals. Nooks and crannies have a tendency to avoid complete coverage simply do to physics, dirt, grime or microscopic film.

Do I need to add a disclaimer or is that already implied?

well stated