• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Myoptic dealers -- A satire

6 posts in this topic

I really feel sorry for so many of these mail order coin dealers. Life must really be tough for them when they can't even afford a pair of prescription glasses. frown.gif

What do I mean you ask? Why those poor individuals aren't able to see well enough to grade a Mercury dime properly. It really is a sad state. I just feel obliged to send them back and point out their myoptic grading standards. I know that that's magnaminous of me. I know. blush.gif Gosh...

I wanted to upgrade some of my merc's a bit, so I nibbled on a couple of adds. Man! Talk about falling short. These VF and XF coins literally graded at least one grade and, more commonly, two grades below the advertised product. Imagine that. I know that alot of you old-timer numismatists are probably perplexed and amazed at my observation but, I assure you, it really happened. shocked.gif

It really is mind-boggling how "they" get away with it. I suppose that most collectors think, "Oh boy, these are just swell!" or else they don't feel that it's worth the bother of sending them back. With those odds, I can see how these back-wooded dealers prosper. Imagine, selling a $5 coin for $25. Why, heck, it sounds like sweet setup to me.

Ok, you military types: Imagine if you decided to arbitrarily "upgrade" your rank just a tad bit. "Oh, I think that I'll be a Lt. Commander today" when, in reality, you're just a Lt. Junior Grade. Or a Seaman Recruit thinks that he'll be a Master Chief for the day. Hey, what harm is there in that? Well, the Uniformed Code of Military Justice views these offenses as very severe and punishment will be meted out harshly.

Perhaps we should draft a "Uniformed Code of Numismatic Justice"? Maybe Paigow Johnny would agree to precide over the hearings since he's a high-ranking Naval officer?

rantpost.gif

I'm really not mad at these events--I am more amazed and astounded at the double standards in the industry. It's crazy. "Othello" talks about the "green-eyed monster of jealousy". I think it would be more appropriate to call it "the green-eyed monster of GREED"! One dealer recently wrote, (paraphrased) "Hey, that's the way the industry works. Just go with it". Well, maybe that's the way the world should be. Why not just rip a few pages out of the bible where it states, "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you." Jesus was obviously confused about the way the world really runs. (In my sarcasm, I mean no disrespect to the scriptures what-so-ever)

Well, I guess that I vented enough, already. I'm sure that most can emphathise with my point of view. If you are one of the few that don't .... well, then ......................................................................................... ................................................ Repent! grin.gif

If anyone wants the name of the two coin companies with their near-sighted grading standards, just PM me.

893Rant-Smilie-thumb.gif

Unfortunately, overgrading and selling cleaned and otherwise undesirable coins is still a fact of life for some of the 'coin factories' that offer many raw coins in large full page ads in various coin publications.

I remember reading a story once about one of the most notorious overgraders that advertised nearly all his coins as MS69 in the various coin publications. When asked why he did this, he said, "90% of the people don't know the difference, and the other 10% don't care"

dragon

Victor - Your story is one that almost every person on this board can reflect on as having experienced in years past. There are countless accounts of dealers, especially mail order, who sell cleaned and questionable material as "BU" or uncirculated, or at least in grades that no coin of theirs deserves. It is an industry unfortuantely plagued by one of the great sins of mortality: greed. Seems to attract the sorts. I'm sorry that you have come up against the experience. As for those who say simply "that's the way it is," they are deluded by their own actions. There can be no such simplicity in that which causes the murmurings of the human heart. And we think this is what we should teach our children and simultaneously hope for a better world? In the end, no industry or transaction is above this. No wonder there is so much dispair. confused.gif

As has been said so many times, simply stay away from raw coins unless you are buying them in person.

Sorry for my own rant. Hoot

For the sake of simplicity let's just call them con-artists.

However, I wouldn't necessarily describe these dealers as myopic, since their scam has endured and will most likely perpetuate in the future (especially with the popularity of the state quarters which will certainly attract young naive collectors).

However, I do believe that the days of mail order are numbered, and their medium must (already has) change with the times (check out ebay for more details). Instant gratification in the form of online images will soon put this type of advertisement to rest. Unfortunately, once this snake leaves its hole, it will become more difficult to locate him... hence more will be susceptible to its venomous bite.