• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How many countries don't put their country name on their coins?

5 posts in this topic

Yes, you are correct, at least to my knowledge. As others, it depends upon how recent you are talking about. None of my Spanish colonial coins have one either although they do have a mintmark and I do not think that the same issues form Spain have one either. It is also possible that some modern coins from the middle and far east do not either. But since I cannot decipher them, I do not know the answer one way or the other.

Thanks, that's good to know. I just noticed that looking at a British Trade Dollar I picked up. I might start looking into coins without country names and/or without denominations but I'll probably stick to English and Latin derivatives for now, no Arabic for me just yet.

Every modern Asian and Middle-Eastern coin I have seen has a country name on it, although most of the independent countries use their native language and -script, not European languages or Roman characters.

However, many 18th-19th Century colonial coins used the governing country's -script and language - for example French on Indo-Chinese coinage.

As I remember it from my high school stamp collecting days back in the middle of the last century, the Brits were the only folks that didn't put their country name on postage stamps either. 893naughty-thumb.gif