• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Has anyone had any experience with the Sigma 105mm f/2.8 EX DG Macro Lens?

9 posts in this topic

I hear nothing but good about the Sigma 105 but I went with the 150 because it is also an f/2.8. The downside is, it's heavy and a bit large to carry around. Both have really great glass. The 105 is probably the best bet for general use. If you plan to park the lens on a stand the 150 is really cool. smile.gif

I like Sigma lenses. I use 28-135 f/3.8 Macro to shoot coins and have very good results. I would most likely go with the 150 f/2.8 if something happens to the one I am currently using, though, but I have heard good things said about the 105, as well.

~Roman

I have that lens. It is an excellent lens. The big four make excellent macro lenses: Nikon, Canon, Sigma, and Tamron. Very difficult to choose a winner between them. The one with the best rep, though, is the Tamron 90mm macro. Still, it's a bit of splitting hairs.

Good or Bad?

I'm thinking of getting one for my Canon Digital Rebel EOS XT.

Speaking of Sigma lens I use a Zoom Macro at times. Works nicely. I hopefully soon will be getting a new camera setup. I am looking to drop a fair ammount of money on a nice lens and camera setup. I am looking at some nice telephoto lens from Canon laugh.gif and the 5D Camera.

I am looking at some nice telephoto lens from Canon laugh.gif and the 5D Camera.

headbang.gifheadbang.gifheadbang.gif

Go with the Canon "L" glass if money isn't too big of an object.

The 5D "full frame" headbang.gif was my first place choice ... ended up settling for the XTi for $1000 cheaper frown.gif. I shall upgrade acclaim.gif in about two years, so all the lenses I buy have to be compatible with both models. Maybe they'll even have something better by then cloud9.gif.

Back on subject ... I have used Sigma lenses in the past with my 35mm SLRs and found the optics not to be up to snuff, the focusing ring always had this annoying grind to it, and the zoom never wanted to stay in position. For an aftermarket lens, they'll get you by though. confused-smiley-013.gif

I haven't used that particular lens. Years ago I did buy a Sigma telephoto lens for a film SLR. Maybe I bought the cheap model, but I was never happy with the lens. It just seemed like a low quality lens. Maybe they have improved since then.

I bought the Canon 100mm Macro lens to go with my Rebel DSLR. One of the main things I was checking for before I bought it was the minimum focal distance. I found that some of the macro lenses would not focus at less that 2-3 feet. The lens I bought will focus down to around 6-8 inches. This is fine for a copy stand and you really don't want to get any closer than that so that you have plenty of room for lighting.