• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ebay purchase: 1806 Draped Bust Quarter

How does this coin grade?  

102 members have voted

1. 1. How does this coin grade?

23 posts in this topic

To tell you the truth for strict, personal grading I would give the coin AG3. However, the market does not care how I would grade the coin so I think a TPG would grade it G6. Lastly, I think the coin might be slightly bent because of the depression visible across the shield.

Yep, I was wondering about the depression. I hope that it's not bent.

Thanks for your input, Tom. thumbsup2.gif

The surfaces look pretty nice, and it'd slab G6, if the depression no the reverse doesn't prevent it from slabbing. Great piece of numismatica, though, Victor.

Hoot

I think it will grade G-6 as well, and the depression across the shield is not the result of a bend. I like the coin considerably, and you got excellent value for your price.

I think it will grade G-6 as well, and the depression across the shield is not the result of a bend. I like the coin considerably, and you got excellent value for your price.

I love your optimism!!! And yours too, Lee. I hope it is so.

The seller has already left me postitive feedback and has shipped the item. So, he does seem pretty squared away in this regard, anyway.

893crossfingers-thumb.gif893crossfingers-thumb.gif893crossfingers-thumb.gif

I would grade this coin G-6 as well. Just shy of VG-8 because of the weakness around LIBERTY. The shield is weakly struck as per this variety...off hand, it looks like the B-3, which developes extremely weak spots on the shield in later stages, and developes two strange arch shaped defects on the left side of the shield in even later stages (which Browing does not mention!). If the coin is not cleaned, it shouldn't have a problem grading.

Hi ya EZ_E,

nice coin, but............... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

did you ever see Jack Beymer offer coins in his advertisements graded "VG-7" ?

I also graded your coin only G-6, but................. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

.....I sure do like it ! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Later tater makepoint.gif

I would grade this coin G-6 as well. Just shy of VG-8 because of the weakness around LIBERTY. The shield is weakly struck as per this variety...off hand, it looks like the B-3, which developes extremely weak spots on the shield in later stages, and developes two strange arch shaped defects on the left side of the shield in even later stages (which Browing does not mention!). If the coin is not cleaned, it shouldn't have a problem grading.

Thanks for the feedback, Coinman! I respect you opinion. But, all input to this point is supposition without seeing the coin in hand. The defect commentary is interesting. Thanks. You give me hope. thumbsup2.gif

Fergie..."later, tater"???? Hey, that's Mr. Potato Head to you, princess! makepoint.gif

grin.gif

Soooo, boardsters. I got the coin in the mail yesterday and the verdict is....

It is awesome! It is not bent and has incredible eye-appeal. The only "but" is a couple of light, recent scratches at 10:00.

It exceeded my expectations and I will post some images after work today.

Very Cool pickup at a great price!! I love hearing these stories as it provides me hope and a venue to live vicariously through others' wallets!!!

Seriously though...I would peg it at G6 as well with the weakness in strike on the reverse already noted...again...very nice!!

Leo

Victor, here's one I picked up on eBay almost ten years ago. I sent it to NGC a couple of years ago and it was graded G6. It seems to be in about the same shape as yours. The weakness in the obverse rim on yours may hold it back a bit to a G4 depending on the graders mood. Still, it looks like a nice one.

1714707-1806s.jpg

1714707-1806s.jpg.f449c4d51b02b4c42dbba6e958482475.jpg

RGT, your example has tremendous eye-appeal! Gorgeous coin and awesome photo!

Here's a photo I just took but it looks so much better in hand. It seems that dove-gray coinage is quite tough to accurately capture...

1714819-1806DrapedBustQuarter.jpg

1714819-1806DrapedBustQuarter.jpg.f523cfc0b8472073f2483313040ad425.jpg

well photos lie and this coin turned out better

i am so glad i was wrong with my guesstimate

congrats victor to the victor cloud9.gif goes the spoils 893applaud-thumb.gif

nothing ventured nothing gained and a really scarce coin