• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Can anybody identify this coin?

7 posts in this topic

1704857-HUH.jpg

Hi there the only bit of the legend i can get is Dei Gratia Rex Boemie ( By the Grace of God King Boemie. the rest i cannot find

If you look at the rev there is a Moden letter E (ERAGENSES) not a lombardic type as there is for the rest of the letter E's on the coin so i would suspect that it is not a real coin flowerred.gif..Sorry.. flowerred.gif

I hope someone proves me wrong

Looking it over again that first letter is not an E, it's a P pragenses. I used the microscope on it and it is definitely a P. Does that change anything????? Its still a token or a repro right?

Check Prague, Czechoslovakia and/or the Protectorate of Bohemia and Moravia.

That is a Czech lion.

It might be a coin of the time of Charles IV (KAROLUS PRIMUS)....and then again it might not.

Any idea of the metal?

Poorly translated from a French numis site: ENLARGED PRAGENSES on Gogole and your medal take again a true currency:

Large of Prague de Charles 1st of Bohemian (1346 - 1378)

Avers: ENLARGED PRAGENSES - Lion upright

Reverse: interior KAROLUS PRIMUS - Outside: DEI GRATIA REX BOEMIE - Crown

Charles 1st is Charles IV of Luxembourg which became king de Bohème in 1346 -

Prague Groschen

It's an inch and a quarter in diameter, one eighth thick, and weighs 36.3 grams.

It doesn't appear to be gold, looks like brass, but may be some combination that has the brassy look? I found some other references that showed the same coin but with a name other than KAROLUS PRIMAS in the center, other than the name everything else was identical, but it was just pictures so I don't know if it is real or not.