• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Part 4 - Results of a box ($500) of Quarters from the Bank

4 posts in this topic

I got through these in about 48 hrs (not straight, but from the time I bought them to the time I returned them), and they were much less boring than the dimes I did a few weeks ago. I kept about 20% of them since I'm collecting 80 of each state quarter from each mint (hey -- if I decide I don't want them, I can just spend 'em). I didn't separate out the state quarters by year for general statistics since that would have taken much too long:

pre-1965: 0 (0%)

1965-69: 66 (3.3%)

1970-79: 101 (5.0%) with 10 from 1976

1980-89: 251 (12.4%)

1990-99: 523 (25.8%)

2000-06: 1089 (53.6%)

Breakdown by state quarter years:

1999 - 98

2000 - 142

2001 - 99

2002 - 95

2003 - 64

2004 - 65

2005 - 274

2006 - 350

The total number of coins adds up to 2030. Besides keeping many of the state quarters, I was able to upgrade about 20 coins from my general circulated Washington series.

Something that surprised me was the non-linear behavior of the number of state quarters through the years. I was somewhat disappointed that there were so few from '03 and '04 since I'm missing a few of those, or only have crummy examples. Does anyone know why?

And now I'm off to the bank to buy some dollar coins and see if I can convince them to order a box of half dollars for me. cool.gif

Hey asrostu hi.gif

All I can say is....

You sure do it your way ! acclaim.gif

wait a second, this is PART 4 ! insane.giftonofbricks.gif

Just teasin ya, have fun with them ! 893applaud-thumb.gif

See ya, Fergie.

It looks like your sample is pretty heavily contaminated by late date states issues which skewed your results. You also found a bunch that are a little heavy in the oldest ones and light on the '80's.

The older ones have more wear and can segregate in the hopper because of the far lower coefficient of friction and fewer shrp design details on which to become hung.

The excess of very recent dates is common because of the way the FED releases coin to circulation. I'd guess most of these were brand new uncs.

Mintages were lower for the mid date states issues and with large numbers of people holding back a coin or two it severely impacts the number available to circulate. It looks as though these are starting to stabilize a little in change suggesting most people have located a specimen for their collection.

Thanks for the numbers.