• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The trials and tribulations of a local flea market

24 posts in this topic

I was on the other side of town yesterday so I decided to stop by a local, indoor flea market because I was told there were a couple of "resident" coin dealers there. At the first booth, was a very pleasant man named Mike who was trying his best to explain to an elderly fellow that he couldn't place a value on coins he doesn't see. He looked in my direction, shrugged his shoulders and made a slight frown, not wanting to say anything that might embarrass the old gent. Once the man left, he directed his attention to me and I looked through his Morgans to see if I could find anything of interest. At my request, he removed an '84-CC and a '90-CC from one of the display cases, and he asked if I wanted a loupe to examine them. He was asking $375 for the pair, and we finally agreed on $330 without much fanfare. We continued to make small talk about coin-collecting for another hour or so and he brought out a slab box to show me two coins. Both were 1909 VDB DDO's that were absolutely gorgeous. They were in NGC holders. One was graded MS66RB and the other was graded MS65RB. He had already bought the 66 and he was negotiating to buy the 65. Mind you, I don't really collect Lincoln cents, but I fell in love with the 65. It has some wonderful toning on both the obverse and reverse. If his deal goes through, he has agreed to sell it to me. Before I left, I asked him where the other coin booth was located, and he was very happy to give me directions.

At the second, much larger booth, I looked around briefly while a homely, old woman behind the counter spent time with a customer. I didn't see any coin displays, just a bunch of odds & ends medals, coin albums, books and a lot of other non-numismatic junk. I waited patiently at the counter for her to finish with a customer. As he was leaving, an elderly couple approached the counter, and she turned to them and ignored me. The man asked if she had the coin albums for the "new Presidential nickels". She told him in an abrupt tone of voice, "They don't make Presidential nickels, they make Presidential dollars." The old gent produced a nickel from his pocket and handed it to her saying, "Then, what is this?" She threw the nickel toward him onto the counter and said, "It's just one of the new Jefferson nickel designs, and I don't have any albums for them." I was about 7-8' away from the couple as they turned to walk away, and I got their attention and suggested that if they had internet access, they should check out Whitman Books. The woman behind the counter then started ranting to me about paying rent, having a roof over her head and trying to make a living when I asked if she had any Morgan dollars. She threw her hands skyward and said, "Morgans! Morgans! We've got Morgans all over the place." I hadn't realized that there were display cases in the middle of the pedestrian area of the flea market. As she walked out there to direct me to them, I heard her say to someone (maybe her unfortunate husband), "He's telling them about the internet and I'm trying to run a business!" At this point, I turned and just walked away. I guess old horse-face is probably complaining about my disappearance and forcing her to waste her time, too!

As I was leaving the flea market, I passed by the first booth and I told Mike, "You're going to have to give me a discount on our agreed price for that Lincoln DDO for making me have to suffer with the witch down the way." He smiled and said, "Yeah, but it's something I just have to do. It makes me look better!"

These are the two CC's I bought from Mike. Before we completed the sale, I told him they were both VAM's, but he didn't show any regret about the agreed-upon price:

1884-CC, VAM 2

1703784-IMG_1455.JPG1703784-IMG_1456.JPG

1890-CC, VAM 12

1703784-IMG_1457.JPG1703784-IMG_1458.JPG

Chris

1703784-IMG_1458.JPG.1a63206d1816630ab5c8adad2713ccef.JPG

Chris, it just goes to show how important customer service really is!

I just posted this thread along the same lines.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/sho...e=0#Post1703770

I was ready to buy the coin until he copped an attitude with me.

p.s. I'm still waiting to hear back from ya... confused-smiley-013.gif

I love people like the Horseface Witch, they keep all the bad karma away from me.

Go ask her for a couple of rolls of those Presidential Nickels, tell her that you heard some of them have no lettering on the edge...

Then have a few friends do the same thing about every 15 minutes for the entire day...

...see if you can get her head to explode.

Nice looking Morgans thumbsup2.gif

About you experience with the second seller. Maybe things weren’t going well for the old lady. She may have been successful at one time and happy to be operating her own business. Things can change, times change, finances change. I bet she had not always been that way.

Edited to add: And yes CC constipation could have been a factor 27_laughing.gif

Hey Chris-----That's a tough call, my friend. When you deal with the public, one never knows what the person went through---before you got there? She could have had a 'lot' on her that nobody knows about.

On the other hand, in business, you have to dig deep and be pleasant whether you want to or not. If you cannot do it, close up and come back after a break. Get a friend to sit in for you for awhile. No question that she didn't belong dealing with people just then. And, certainly, she paid the price for her lack of proper etiquette----lost business.

Good luck with the cent. Bob [supertooth]

It really slays me as to how some people stay in business acting like that. Its simple customer service. Do what I would do and steer your collector friends away from them. If they want to treat people like that that's what they get.

Well, John Paul Sarosi has been acting like that for years and he's a millionaire. Some of you boardsters may remember my run in with him a couple of years back. (If not then there's a link to the old thread on my silver JFK slot in my type coin registry).

I woke up in a surly mood yesterday morning for whatever reason (which is rare). But my mood just improved dealing with my patients that day. I certainly did not snip or snarl at them. So, there is zero excuse to treat customers in this manner. I give outstanding patient care (customer service) and I expect it in return. If not then I will go up the ladder to get satisfaction. I sent an email to ebay about the poor ebay seller who got snippy with me for selling a product but waiting over 30 days to ship it. That is against policy as well as saying they do not take credit cards via paypal. For every action, there is a reaction and my reaction was not pleasant.

But, Chris is a much nicer guy than I am. Well, that's ok because I am much better looking!

yay.gifyay.gifyay.gif

Well, that's ok because I am much better looking!

yay.gifyay.gifyay.gif

Victor, you've been reading too many item descriptions from sleazeBayers.

Chris

I just had a terrible dream! I dreamt that I just spoke with you for an hour on the phone. Tell me it was just a dream. Pleaaaaaaaaaaaaze!

Hey, maybe I'll call you again sometime and we can spend 3 or 4 hours talking about VAMs and the new pimpled eagle butt Morgan variety. NOT! poke2.gif

I just had a terrible dream! I dreamt that I just spoke with you for an hour on the phone. Tell me it was just a dream. Pleaaaaaaaaaaaaze!

Hey, maybe I'll call you again sometime and we can spend 3 or 4 hours talking about VAMs and the new pimpled eagle butt Morgan variety. NOT! poke2.gif

I don't see any pimples on this one, but maybe it is because someone gave him a thorough cleaning with a wire brush!

1704446-1884-CC%232.jpg1704446-1884-CC%233.jpg1704446-1884-CC%234.jpg1704446-1884-CC%235.jpg1704446-1884-CC%236.jpg1704446-1884-CC%237.jpg1704446-1884-CC%238.jpg1704446-1884-CC%239.jpg1704446-1884-CC%2310.jpg1704446-1884-CC%2311.jpg

FYI: All of the gouges you see were probably caused by a Mint worker cleaning the face of the die.

Chris

589a924ae961a_1704446-1884-CC11.jpg.fedb124e68991b87d8f9fa4ef0e2a4dd.jpg

WoW...! What a cool picture!

1704446-1884-CC%2311.jpg

I've been told that Cingular has excellent reception because they own most of the towers, but I think they've gone a little too far!

Chris

That last comment was over my head... screwy.gif

It looks like a little cell phone tower on the eagle's beak. poke2.gif

Yeah, right, and that's a Boomer sub to the right of it with the silver crew onboard.

Have you all been sniffing the coin dip again? screwy.gif

devil.gif

AND the results of the PENNY DEAL ?????

flowerred.gifconfused-smiley-013.gif

I won't know until next week. I've got my fingers crossed!

Chris

Hey cpm9ball,

Why did you choose the 65 over the 66 ? Eye appeal, color ?

Is anyone lined up for the second coin, I would sure be interested. flowerred.gif

Your Flea Market report is really cool, nice job.

I was / is a seller/buyer at Chicago ares fleas, and I gotta tell ya, on the whole, there are some 100% looney tunes to be found, and some great folks, as the Mike guy you found. Oh yeah, that remind me, one of our "Looney" Coin sellers at the Flea has an excellent old Frankie toner set in album. The Guy is so rude that for twenty years I wouldn't even look his way.

Finally one day I played his game back, because I really wanted to see what was in the Dansco, it was there forever, so I rudely demanded some "service here ", and soon we were chatting coins just as friendly as can be ! I bought some excellent toned early Washington's from him at very fair prices that day.

Gotta go get the Frankies another day. He wont sell it, he's too rude !

Thanks cpm9ball, I want an 09 DDO please.

See ya,

Fergie.

AND the results of the PENNY DEAL ?????

flowerred.gifconfused-smiley-013.gif

I won't know until next week. I've got my fingers crossed!

Chris

Hey cpm9ball,

Why did you choose the 65 over the 66 ? Eye appeal, color ?

Is anyone lined up for the second coin, I would sure be interested. I want an 09 DDO please.

See ya,

Fergie.

Fergie, I really like the toning on both sides of the 65. No, there isn't anyone lined up for the MS66RB as far as I know. I'll PM you some details when I find out if I get the 65 in the next week or so.

Chris