• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

eBay Scam & Their Slow Response

17 posts in this topic

Since scammers can't see the IDs of the bidders, the scammers are trying to get to the sellers.

I reported this fraud 2 days ago and their (hijacked) accounts are still active and no response from eBay.

ebay-scam.jpg

Since taking this screen capture, I've received another identical scam question from philgb2002.

You'd think that eBay would be a little quicker to investigate clear fraud attempts. I tried the Live Chat option, but there is a 35+ minute hold time. 27_laughing.gif

Look at the link the scammer wants you to go to. It is not an eBay link. However, when you go there it asks you to enter in your eBay username/password.

The accounts sending these appear to be hijacked accounts. With the exception of the last one, they are all sparingly used accounts.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif I got a response albiet automatic one

Then a follow up one where they say not to do any sales outside of Ebay confines - may also be scripted reply

Did you get the automatic reply ???

No auto reply other than one saying that SafeHarbor was investigating.

I think I'm done reporting fraud on their site. Let them pay out a bunch of claims for fraud instead.

It might be worth reporting these phishing sites to the Anti-Phishing Working Group. eBay and PayPal are members as well as many banks. APWG serves as a clearing house for suspected phishing sites and is usually pretty quick about things on their end.

The Firefox browser also has built-in phishing warnings. I'm not sure if they get their sites list from APWG or somewhere else but this is what Firefox shows me when I go to that website:

ebay_phishing.png

Pretty cool IMO.

That screen capture happens to be taken from a Linux workstation where I use GIMP. From the GIMP menu just click:

File > Acquire > Screen Shot...

For Windows, I use the following to get the active window into the clipboard. From there you can paste it into any image manipulation app, e.g. Photoshop. The Shift key makes it so it only captures the active window instead of the desktop, leave it off to capture the entire desktop.

Shift + Ctrl + Alt + PrtSc