• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Carbon Spots on a Morgan

2 posts in this topic

I have a morgan silver dollar with what I believe is a carbon spot that is slightly large and dark brown. I was wondering if there is anything that I can do at home to try and remove it without ruining the coin before I consider sending it in. I was also wondering if carbon spots significantly effect the grade of a blast-white morgan. Thanks

Unfortunately I can not recommend any home conservation methods. Too often, even with detailed directions, coins have been diminished in value due to amateur conservation efforts.

Without seeing your coin it is difficult to say with certainty what might be done with your piece. It is likely that at the very least, professional conservation could lighten the spots on your coin if not completely remove them.

Spots could effect the grading of a coin depending on the severity and quantity of those spots.

Chris, NCS