• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A new S-13 Liberty Cap cent...

22 posts in this topic

Not too much to say about this coin, except it's perfect! grin.gif With the varied opinions of these boards, I'll let others chime in before I say much of anything about this coin. I'll only say now that I traded my last example of this variety for this significant upgrade. I regard both pieces highly.

Please, say what you think.

1701296-1793S-13LibCap1cVG08A%2B07-049.JPG

Hoot

589a924a92b6e_1701296-1793S-13LibCap1cVG08A07-049.JPG.75da476ada650e37b7bf0393baba39e6.JPG

I really like the look of that piece. laugh.gif

The color is nice, and there is a wonderful amount of detail remaining. To me, the obverse looks like it was struck up a little better.

I am going to guess that it is Sheldon-13. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif I just quickly compared it with the coins on coinfacts.com though.

It must be very fun to hold. grin.gif

I remember the other one you posted several months ago, and this is quite a substantial upgrade. Thank you for sharing her with us. smile.gif

-Amanda

Looks to be quite a nice upgrade. Congrats on the NEWP.

That said, I'm not sure that this one would be something I would purchase, as my tolerance for porosity/corrosion is rather low. However, I also realize how difficult/expensive finding a nice S-13 is without these characteristics (or any of the other five '93 LC varieties for that matter), so overall the upgrade receives a nice round of 893applaud-thumb.gif from me. smile.gif

Question: Are you collecting these by Sheldon variety, or simply date/type (i.e. do you have any of the other '93 LC vareties)?

Take care & thanks for sharing...Mike

Lovely coin. So it took you a little over 5 years to upgrade to that one. That's dedication. I enjoyed the linked post as well. Chimes in to my interests in US coinage, definitely. hail.gif

That is an awesome coin. Talk about history---there it is.

Beautiful example also.

Let me add the best compliment I can think of.....

I really wish that was mine smirk.gif

Looks to be quite a nice upgrade. Congrats on the NEWP.

That said, I'm not sure that this one would be something I would purchase, as my tolerance for porosity/corrosion is rather low.

Thanks for the congrats Mike. Again, my scan does the coin no good at all. sorry.gif The coin is not corroded at all, and the porosity is exceptionally minor, particularly for a 1793 Lib Cap. What makes the coin look corroded is the somewhat uneven color distribution from brown to dark brown/black, as well as the flatness and lack of detail of of the scan. The scan also shows none of the excellent surface glossiness. The planchet is perfect, including no rim dings and a perfect edge (ONE HUNDERD FOR A DOLLAR), and the surface is smooth to the naked eye. The minor porosity is only visible with magnification. Indeed, this coin would holder with PCGS or NGC, readily. (I would never do that to the piece, however.) You may have seen the coin - it's ex. Doug Bird. Doug grades its VG8 A+, and I'd comply. Doug also said it's the nicest "fresh" Liberty Cap cent he's seen come on the market in years - out of a very old holding. (I'm going to dig up the provenance on the cent at EAC this April.)

Question: Are you collecting these by Sheldon variety, or simply date/type (i.e. do you have any of the other '93 LC vareties)?

For the early dates, I'm collecting primarily by major types for the date, somewhat conforming to Red Book, but not entirely. I do not have the means to collect by either Sheldon variety or by Red Book, strictly speaking. Mostly, I take what comes my way with eye appeal, doing the best I can for the date/type.

That is an awesome coin. Talk about history---there it is.

Beautiful example also.

Let me add the best compliment I can think of.....

I really wish that was mine smirk.gif

That's the best compliment anyone can offer. Now, if I could improve my photos for Mike without all the time and effort it'd take... wink.gif

Hoot

Again, my scan does the coin no good at all. sorry.gif The coin is not corroded at all, and the porosity is exceptionally minor, particularly for a 1793 Lib Cap.

Fooled by your scans again. frustrated.gif

Glad to hear your explanation, and even more happy to hear you're happy with the coin!

Fooled by your scans again. frustrated.gif

Verily. I think that every scan, every photo fools in more than one way. There's simply no substitute for the coin in-hand. I suppose I should have offered up a description in the first place... and greater detail is required in my existing description.

Hoot

IMHO...the toughest Large Cent to get in anything remotely approaching decent condition. I like the look of your newp. I'm a bit more flexible when it comes to corrosion and/or uneven color on these...especially if you're spending something less than five figures!

Congrats!!!

Leo

That is a TOTALLY AWESOME JAW-DROPPING MONSTER (and I NEVER use the word "monster")!!!!!!!! WOW WHAT A COIN!

I absolutely love it, Hoot. SENSATIONAL.

Looks like you could use some new images for that lovely piece wink.gif.

Thanks to all! A dream coin for me.

James - Your enthusiasm is only matched by my own smile.gif. You expressed exactly how I feel every time I look at the coin. Plan on seeing it at EAC. thumbsup2.gif

I tried last night to image the coin with my camera. The photo below was the best I could do. While it captures some qualities of the coin that the scan does not, it also comes up short, still, for illustrating the best of this coin. Indeed, a little more description may help...

First, just a little background. The 1793 Liberty Cap cent comes in five varieties, the most common of which is the S-13. Commonness, however, is a relative matter since the estimated number of survivors of the 7200 coin run (all varieties) is about 200 pieces. These coins are genuinely rare. The design was that of Joseph Wright, first Engraver for the Mint. Wright was quite talented, and the dies he sunk were beautiful, although each had a rather shallow relief as can be seen by surviving, fully struck, Mint State pieces. All Liberty Cap cents are relatively weakly struck on the reverse (anvil die in the screw press). Nearly every survivor in conditions of Fine and less are missing entirely the central reverse denominational epithet ONE CENT. Many others are not well centered, obverse or reverse, and are worn to the point of missing other key features, such as the border beading, which was very delicate and wore off easily. In addition to the features mentioned, the copper for these cents was poor, as with nearly all 1793 cents. Planchets were porous from the get-go and required no corrosive forces to make the coins porous on their surfaces. Thus, a non-porous, even Mint State, 1793 Liberty Cap cent is exceedingly rare.

If you read the above carefully, you might appreciate how difficult it is to find nice specimens of this cent. It is vastly more rare than its 1793 counterparts, the chain and wreath cents. These coins are also the most beautiful coins minted in the history of the U.S. Mint, IMO, and the loss of Wright was a true loss to the beauty of coinage as we know it from that time.

All that said, this coin is utterly remarkable. The planchet is near-perfect, the porosity is very minor for the type, and the wear is even and does not deny the coin of any of its details. Even the border beading of the reverse is present, which is sometimes not the case on much higher graded pieces. The reverse fraction and denominational epithet are legible, and all of the wreath details are intact. I can't tell you what a mouthful that is for someone who understands these cents. The obverse is nothing short of magnificent. Border beading is quite evident. A full date is rare, even on cents grading Fine and Very Fine, where the 1 and sometimes the 7 are often missing. Waves and folds of the cap are readily discernable, and LIBERTY is fully present. Liberty herself is just gorgeous, and even the trailing locks of her hair can be seen with the coin in-hand. If you truly know and love early copper, this piece would stand out in your eyes. My plan is to keep it for a very, very long time, as it is a treasure to my eyes, my mind, and the heart of my collecting nature.

The photos below capture a bit more of the surface glossiness, which comes from the "hardness," if you will, of the copper. The coin is much less contrasty in-hand, but I just don't know how to remedy that in a photo (or scan), and truthfully, I believe that most photos fall vastly short of their mark. Anyway, here it is...

Mark.

1702604-1793S-13LibCap1cVG08A%2B07-049imgP.JPG

589a924a960ca_1702604-1793S-13LibCap1cVG08A07-049imgP.JPG.0d5947a43c8a318b69140462f2e1e6ac.JPG

Congratulations Mark ! thumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gif

I know you are thrilled to snag a second (time-around) fine example of a Liberty Cap !! A classic beauty steeped in more history that one can imagine !!! Thanks for sharing your new acquisition and providing some wonderful history to go along with the coin.

Can't wait to hear of your search to uncover provenance !! Keep us posted on that most interesting endeavor.

Mark,

My awe of this coin is only exceeded by your knowledge and passion for it!

I am truly impressed all around! cloud9.gif