• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

grey sheet

6 posts in this topic

can anyone tell me if certified coins are listed on the grey sheet? what about vams and other varieties such as rpm's and double dies of various denominations? some of us would like to know and thanks in advance.

halfpint tonofbricks.gif

They Greysheet does not list prices for certified coins, but its companion publication named the Bluesheet does. However, the Bluesheet is an absolute waste of money because the prices are for limited series, in limited grades and essentially represent what an overgraded dog of a coin would sell at. VAMs are not listed on either sheet and very few doubled dies are listed. If you go to the Greysheet site you can order a sample pack for $13.75 and it will show you everything there is about this series of publications.

To expand slightly on what TomB stated, the greysheet is for properly graded coins, which means sight-seen, and graded according to your standards. The "bluesheet" is for sight-unseen trading, which of course, is generally a very poor way to buy coins.

So far as I'm concerned, the Gray Sheet provides sight seen prices for properly graded PCGS and NGC coins. It's been my observation that many Gray Sheet prices have been adjusted downward for the general overgrading that can be noted on some slabbed coins. PCGS and NGC upped the grade on a lot of key day coins, and the market responded by dampening the prices.

As an example years ago I puchased a 1909-S-VDB cent that came with the old ANACS certificate, which was graded VF-20. Personally I thought the coin was VF-30, but when I had it graded it came back EF-40. Another example is the 1916-D Mercury dime. In the old days all of the ax lines on the reverse had to be there on a VF coin. Today you see only half of them, which is the old VG. As a result the price of that coin in VF is not high I would have thought it would be, given the market.

As for raw coins, they are not worth as much as many Gray Sheet prices. Two factors figure into this. (1) Money has been spent for postage and slabbing to the coin into a marketable condition (slabbed). (2) The possibility exists that the coin might not come back with the grade you think it should have gotten.

For these reasons, I take Gray Sheet prices to be sight seen certified coin prices.

Grey sheet represents dealer to dealer wholesale on sight seen transactions for properly graded coins. Grey Sheet Ask represents dealer replacement cost. Consequently, for proper retail pricing, a dealer would mark up the coin at a percentage above ask. Otherwise this dealer would be in whats called on the bourse a "liquidation mode."

To make money in coins you have be able to retail your merchandise above replacement cost at a high enough profit to cover operating expenses; otherwise you will not be able to stay in business.

For coins dealers walkup to my table to sell I will offer CDN Bid less 5%. For coins that other dealers walk up to my table to buy (assuming I want to wholesale the coin) I will sell to them at CDN Bid plus 5%. Based on my excel analysis of ads for hundreds of coins based on mail order ads in publications like Coin World dealers retail their coins at an average of 21% above CDN Ask. Consequently, I retail most of my material at this premium above ask.

for me

many pre 1915

scarce to rare

extremely eye appealling

extraspecial coins

bring way WAY more than greysheet prices.........

some are not even listed in/on the greysheet