• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1809 Bust Half opinions

12 posts in this topic

Hello to all, especially you CBH collectors,

What do you think of this coin grade and value. I do not have the coin so I am using the sellers photos which aren't too bad. I have done nothing other than join the two.

Is the color look odd to you?

Thanks Jim

1809BUSTHALF.jpg

First impressions are priceless...in this case it looks too clean. Although it has gained some of the tone back, I do not think it is original skin. Not a bad looking coin, but it sounds to me like you already have doubts?

High XF

$175-$200 ???

Please do not let opinions sway your judgement unless there is a blatant arguement from us NOT to buy a coin.

A lot of this has to do with personal taste and we do not know exactly where that lies.

Have fun and don't over indulge.

Looks like an O.102 and it does not look to be MS, which the seller claims it might be. I doubt the surfaces are original, but they also really don't look that bad.

Hi jesbroken,

May I add my two cents ?

Yes ?

Ok, then in my opinion for the board (my first), ANY old coin such as this which has survived all these years without getting in a thirty coin pile-up, and bearing the resultant bangs, dents and scratches, is a coin worth considering for a collector to save for future Numismatists to have one day. I say it looks nice, and probably was in a few fine collections over the previous years ? My guess anyhow.

Originality and grade, requires more opinions from others, certainly not my realm.

Looks like an O.102 and it does not look to be MS, which the seller claims it might be. I doubt the surfaces are original, but they also really don't look that bad.

What he said.

I simply refuse to deal with a seller ( any store or seller ) who lacks full and honest disclosure capabilities. That is even if the item offered was killer in my opinion. Why encourage and support a "not good for folks" person ?

Too many good guys need the sales, and I will go look for them !

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Hi, Jim

I really like your arriving addition to your Bustie collection. thumbsup2.gif

She is 198 years old and looks very nice to me an XF45 IMHO! Oh, this cool CBH may have been dipped in her long life, retoning a nice gray/blue color over the years. I do not see hairlines, that is a plus!

She would have a home with me in my collection anytime! grin.gif

AAJ

The color does look off, likely cleaned first. This 1809, and the same seller's 1810, look similar. This seller does not appear to be selling quality coins, mostly mint sets, and Russian religious robes. crazy.gif

I don't think either of these coins worth XF money. If you are going to buy off ebay, buy a PCGS/NGC/ICG/ANACS graded coin.

Let me preface this by saying that I am only making a supposition here - I have no proof of what I'm about to say and I don't know the seller or anything about him.

It may just be the photo, but look that area above the eagle, which I first thought was a bump with another coin's reeding. It looks to me like it may be the recipient of some photoshop blur tool work, particularly immediately to the left of the beak. I could certainly be completely wrong, but that's what it looks like to me.

It may just be the photo, but look that area above the eagle, which I first thought was a bump with another coin's reeding. It looks to me like it may be the recipient of some photoshop blur tool work, particularly immediately to the left of the beak. I could certainly be completely wrong, but that's what it looks like to me.

No, that is THE identifying attribute of this die-marriage. It is as-struck, and as one of the most common Overton varieites for 1809, there are probably many hundreds of coins with that classic diagnostic.

Personally, I like this coin original or not. It has near-AU details, and should easily get EF money; I think it's been dipped or somehow chemically treated, as others have alluded. But it's also basically two-hundred years old! So I can accept that something that's been around 200 years may have seen a problem or two.

It's a nice coin, in my worthless opinion.

I want to add that if the price is not too outrageous (I would pay no more than around $200), it would be worth a look...The O-102 is one of the potential XXX varieties. I would buy it just for a look at the edge (and XXX does add value to the coin, so the potential exists to get a decent buy if it is).

MBA101 is right, it could be xxxx variety. Be sure to photograph the edges if you can, when you get it. I must be missing something because I don't know who the seller might be. The coin looks like it could be quite lovely, unless the surfaces were altered. Photo's like this can be deceiving. I hope there is a return policy.