• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

25th Anniversary PANDA set

15 posts in this topic

My SILVER version came in today

The Container box for them is 1000% better than the US MINT could ever produce

cloud9.gifcloud9.gifcloud9.gif

I have been looking at these sets here in Shanghai for several weeks now and I agree, China does a great job when it comes to coin packaging.

I noticed that several of the dealers quoted me two prices, one with the box and one without the box. It appears that they can order them this way from the distributor. From what I have seen very few of the dealers at the coin market in Shanghai (about 200 permanent dealer stalls) have purchased the boxes, just the removable drawer that the five plastic coin holders rest in. I recommend that you be sure to keep the box and keep it in good condition, as I suspect it will be harder to locate the original mint packaging boxes in the future.

By the way, just for market comparison, it seems the complete sets (with mint packaging) are being sold between RMB 11,000 and RMB 12,500 by most dealers here in Shanghai. At the current exchange rate of 7.77 that is about $1,400 to $1,600 with the most dealers offering it at about $1,575. Considering the hassle of getting it out of China, the 20% premium that Panda America is charging seems reasonable.

Panda America website lists silver set at $499 and gold set at $1299. I don't get the 20% premium comment. confused-smiley-013.gif

I ordered the set Jan 31 for $407.50 including shipping. It is now selling for 20% more or $100.

1701962-pandaset.jpg

1701962-pandaset.jpg.a9bdeced95abe1a0e44f90dcdcdb54ab.jpg

Trozau,

Panda America price is $499 (Silver) plus $1,299 (Gold) equals $1,798 as you stated.

Price in China for the complete Silver and Gold set combined ranges from $1,400 to $1,600.

Using $1,500 as an average price offered in China, the $1,798 price from Panda America is $298 more, or approximately 20%.

Jim

Trozau,

Panda America price is $499 (Silver) plus $1,299 (Gold) equals $1,798 as you stated.

Price in China for the complete Silver and Gold set combined ranges from $1,400 to $1,600.

Using $1,500 as an average price offered in China, the $1,798 price from Panda America is $298 more, or approximately 20%.

Jim

Got ya! So I guess the box actually has enough room to fit both silver and gold sets. thumbsup2.gif

Nope, two seperate boxes. Sorry to have been confusing on this. Here in Shanghai, at least with the dealers I have seen, they typically offer the 25th Anniversay Panda's for sale as a "set" (one complete Silver set in mint packaging, and one complete Gold set in mint packaging - two seperate boxed sets offered at one price together). Typically, if you want only the Silver or only the Gold you have to ask for it, they grumble, act like they are doing you a favor, offer you an inflated price, them come down to something reasonable after you start to walk away.

Nope, two seperate boxes. Sorry to have been confusing on this. Here in Shanghai, at least with the dealers I have seen, they typically offer the 25th Anniversay Panda's for sale as a "set" (one complete Silver set in mint packaging, and one complete Gold set in mint packaging - two seperate boxed sets offered at one price together). Typically, if you want only the Silver or only the Gold you have to ask for it, they grumble, act like they are doing you a favor, offer you an inflated price, them come down to something reasonable after you start to walk away.

Ahh yes, the typical art of haggling common throughout Asia. wink.gif