• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MS 2006 Jamestown - Is this coin a 70? (large photos)

19 posts in this topic

I got this coin last month and immediately took note of how nice it was. I can't find a tick

on the whole surface. Here are some images I took of it tonight. I still can't see anything

on them. Does it appear I've got an MS-70 coin here? Please, anyone who sees anything

on this coin's surfaces chime in.

Thanks!

jamestown_obv.jpg

jamestown_rev.jpg

It certainly does appear to be flawless.

But even more impressive are your photo images! WoW...! Incredible!! What was your technique?

Why thank you, Vic. smile.gif My setup is described here. It's simply a matter of getting the coin and lights positioned how you like them, then playing with the exposure until it's perfect, then on with the focus. Large, uncirculated coins aren't too hard once you've practiced a lot (and I have, believe me). There's not much to my technique - it's really more a case of developing your eye for how the light falls on the coin and then knowing roughly what exposure range to start with. I set everything to manual on my camera so I can control it better. After I capture the images, I crop and mat them using photoshop as described here.

Are there spots on and below the E in E PLURIBUS? And is there a spot to the the left of the O in ONE almost at the edge? And is that a spot to the right of the last A in America? I couldnt see anything on the Obverse. And dont know if I see anything on the Reverse just maybes.

Why thank you, Vic. smile.gif My setup is described here. It's simply a matter of getting the coin and lights positioned how you like them, then playing with the exposure until it's perfect, then on with the focus. Large, uncirculated coins aren't too hard once you've practiced a lot (and I have, believe me). There's not much to my technique - it's really more a case of developing your eye for how the light falls on the coin and then knowing roughly what exposure range to start with. I set everything to manual on my camera so I can control it better. After I capture the images, I crop and mat them using photoshop as described here.

Nice description on your setup. Of course the camera you have helps.

Question: you show that you use a white background, yet your finished photos have a blue background. Is that done in Photoshop?

CC, yes, I think those are some really tiny spots where you mentioned them. I wonder if it would matter to a TPG though, since what you're seeing is really something like 4X magnification and they're really tiny on that. I don't know. I'm probably going to wait to submit it until I have a group of stuff to go in one day. I'm not interested in a quick resell, so I'm just going to hang onto it for my personal collection.

WW, yes, I use photoshop to mat my coin photos - in this case on a royal blue background. Follow the second link in my response post and you'll see how I do it.

Thanks, y'all - anyone else have opinions?

That is a good set of instructions.

I would only suggestion would be for the third to last step where you have...

"In the SAVE FOR WEB dialogue, choose a quality level. I suggest JPEG High or JPEG Medium. When you've selected your quality, click SAVE."

In that step I would add that this is where you can see what the final file size is based on jpg quality. This is important while making images to be uploaded into the NGC Registry (120kb limit)

Michael,

Nice pics thumbsup2.gif

If you want to see if this can be awarded a MS70, you might ask if a fellow forum member would submit it for you in one of their submissions. I just suggest this to make sure nothing happens between now and when you are ready to submit it yourself.

Good luck!

Ok, Michael...

I took your photos into MS Paint, and enlarged them 2X (on the already larger-than-life image). I counted 6 possible flaws. 4 of those were probably atrifacts of the image, or some lint or dust. The other two were MINISCULE! This is a 70 coin if there ever was one! If they give it a 69, then they have no idea what they're doing.

Yes !

Sure as hell if one something deserves it, it seems it would be your JT.

I don't think any spots are visible enough for me to see em.

I was always curious though if you send in a genuine 70, but the Lady I saw in a grading video processing the receipt of orders, accidently and unkowingly laid a tiny smudge on the coin. So then what ? Yer pride and joy comes back 69, and for the life of you ya can not figure out what the problem was. You just don't see it through the holder.

Ahh, guess they are extra careful with possible 70 coin types.

Nice looking coin Buddy !

accidently and unkowingly laid a tiny smudge on the coin.

You mean like my MS-66 First Day of Issue Washington Dollar that came back with a thumbprint on the reverse?

I inspected an MS69 06W S.E. It really looked like it didn't have a fault until hig magnification. I noticed 2 small shiny spots on the reverse up by the rim. I guess this was good enough to go 69 instead of 70. This was NGC also.

accidently and unkowingly laid a tiny smudge on the coin.

You mean like my MS-66 First Day of Issue Washington Dollar that came back with a thumbprint on the reverse?

EXACTLY YES ! Now what do you do ? That answer seems to be NADDA !

Just no logical way to prove it's not your fingerprint.

Unless you have the CSI NY team in your address book. yeahok.gif

Hi Mike, really nice lookin' JT dollar there. I'll be darned if I can see the difference between MOST of the modern 69's and 70's . I was real happy with the JT coins I got and the Frisco Old Mint ones too.So I went ahead and sent them in along with some others I had been wanting to have slabbed.All the silvers came back MS69 and PF69DCAM. But I am happy to say that the two MS $5 golds both came back in MS70 holders so I guess I can live with it. Oh.. I also threw a 1987 $5 gold eagle in the mix too and it only got an MS68 grade.Kind of a mixed bag I guess.Maybe I'll try to post some pics after I've done a little more studying and practicing on some of your imaging technics... ®¿~

Michael,

I've screened about three dozen examples of this coin and submitted twelve, six of which have come back so far and are all MS 70.

Yours is among the finest pieces I've seen and exhibits none of the usual flaws, which include ticks in specific locations and occasional breaks in the satin finish (which generally would show up on photographs as black spots).

I see nothing in your images to preclude the 70 grade. The minor issues others have pointed out are so miniscule as to be unnoticeable when grading with the naked eye at 1:1 scale in an approximately 10 second time period. I would be surprised if they'd have any influence on the grade, especially as they're on the reverse.

Best,

Beijim