• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Funny customs declaration

2 posts in this topic

A while ago there was a thread about a buyer requesting low customs declaration to get around paying import duties. The general responses seemed to be to not collude in this type of behavior.

I'm in the US so I don't think declared customs values affect me too much but today I received a PCGS encapsulated silver dollar. I purchased it for much more than face value but the customs form had a declared value of $1 which is the actual face value. I thought it was pretty funny because it's really true from one perspective. I also thought it was an interesting commentary on coin collectors like me smile.gif

I do not know if sellers include include a customs form when I buy from an overseas seller, but I have never had to pay anything. Maybe its because the stuff I have bought is cheap for the most part. The most expensive coin I bought was from a Belgian dealer for $650.

When I sell to foreign buyers, I would not list the value at less than what I sold it for. That is the value I use. There is no "upside" to falsifying the document.