• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New Dollar Coin Question

11 posts in this topic

I've seen lots of hype of the errors that are out there. So far i've seen no engraving on the edge and a faceless coin has been reported out of Denver.

My question is has anyone heard of athis coin have upside down writing on the edge? so if you look at the coin with the face up the writing is upside down or is this common that the engraving went both ways?

Any info would be appreciated.

thanks

From what I have read, I believe the edge writing is put on the coin randomly. So that would mean there is no such thing as an upside down edge error. But I have been wrong before.

The coins' edges are lettered after the coin has been struck (which puts the designs on the obverse and reverse - front and back), so each coin has a 50% chance of its lettering being either "right side up" or "upside down".

Collectors are undecided whether to call the different lettering orientation a "variety" or not, but it's clearly not an error, nor is it "rare".

An error is a production mistake. There's nothing mistaken about the orientation of the edge lettering.

I wouldn't even call it a variety. A variety is caused by a difference in the die itself (e.g. large letters/small letters). "Upside down" lettering is made by the same machinery as regular lettering.

There really is no such thing as "upside down" lettering.

Collectors are undecided whether to call the different lettering orientation a "variety" or not, but it's clearly not an error, nor is it "rare".

As far as I'm concerned, you need to have both "Heads Up" and "Tails Up" to have a complete set.

As far as I'm concerned, you need to have both "Heads Up" and "Tails Up" to have a complete set.

I agree. What I have found, after opening several bank supplied rolls, is that the heads up is about 60-70% of the roll(s).

I bought these the morning of the 15th, which the bank got in on the 12th but could not sell, so these are "first issues."

I call them variations based on the Mint's statements of the striking process.

If you want to read my take on this topic, my blog entry is here.

Scott hi.gif