• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

could someone tell me what this is??????????

9 posts in this topic

I am new to coin collecting and quite ignorant to be honest. I have been lucky enough to stumble across a 98 & 2000 wide am in my stash of change. I also found a couple of 1989 cents with a doubling??? on the word in on "in god we trust". I would appreciate any help.thanks in advance

1697143-19891.jpg_edited.jpg.115131b3a6189c0ee67fb54c3f211b8e.jpg

I assume your speaking about the lines incused (incused would be a raised area on the stamping die which leaves an impression into the design) above the letters?

It also looks like Lincoln is anatomically correct with an assasins bullet hole in the back of his head.

There are many annomalies in Lincoln cents, some can be readily explained others are freaks...first time I see something of this nature, perhaps you'll get a reasonable answer.

More of a welcome to the boards than an explaination mpatton.

mpatton - Welcome to the boards. The photo that you show is what's called die deterioration doubling. As the die wears, the edges of letters and other devices become unstable and the metal of the die flows in the direction of the flow of the coins being struck. Over time, this causes the edges of devices to give way, leading to a doubled appearance. With letters near the edge of the coin (or stars, etc.), there's a comet-like effect from the letter to the rim of the coin. This is indicative of the die state, and is not doubling from the many forms of hub doubling that makes some coins more valuable.

Hoot

Something Wooden Jefferson said reminded me of a Lincoln I pulled out of circ a while back...

It also looks like Lincoln is anatomically correct with an assasins bullet hole in the back of his head.

LOOK OUT BEHIND YOU, ABE!!!

1697691-83lincolnheadshot.JPG

Sorry about the lameness of the pic, was a quickie...

1697691-83lincolnheadshot.JPG.464daa0380edf951445122942509a135.JPG

I disagree. The 1983 cent is just suffering from "zinc bubbles," a common occurrence among the early zinc cents.

Don't mean to hijack the thread... WJ's comment about the Lincoln head wound reminded me about the one I had pulled out a few weeks ago, thought I would throw it up to see if that was what he was talking about.

My '83 "Assassination" Cent seems to be a classic die break... runs almost complete from one edge to the other in a straight line.

I have eyeballed a lot of post-82's and zinc damage is usually a lot more random and spotty in the form of bubbles. I've never seen any that run that evenly in a straight line at the same height, but I guess there is a first time for everything.