• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My latest purchase - 1913 Type 1 Buffalo Nickel - Grade Opinions?

15 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

Here's my latest purchase: a 1913 Philadelphia-minted Type 1 buffalo nickel. I bought this on ebay for $19.99, shipped after a $15 PayPal rebate. The coin was advertised as "ONE 1913 P TYPE ONE UNCIRCULATED BUFFALO NICKEL .BEAUTIFUL COIN WITH NICE DETAIL AND LUSTER.CRISP DATE,FULL HORN AND SPLIT TAIL SHOWING ON THE HIP." I agree with it all, now that I have the coin in-hand, although the tail split is difficult to see.

Before I bought, I asked Hoot to see what he could make of the tiny seller's photos (above images) and he kindly offered the opinion that the coin had good detail and he didn't see any overt signs of cleaning, wear, or distracting marks. In hand, I agree with that on all counts (Thanks again, Hoot!)

I'm not 100% certain as to the grade, as this is the nicest buffalo nickel I've ever owned, and I'm not super familar with the series. I'm leaning towards a nice MS grade, but that depends on whether certain areas like the buffalo's head and tail and the indian's hair are weak strike and not ever-so-slight wear making it an AU. Mint luster is still present over the entire surface, though, so I feel good about an MS grade.

Below are my photos (lower images). Sorry they're not bigger, but I'm limited by my lens. The coin is slightly brighter than the images indicate. I invite opinions of all kinds, particularly with regards to grade. Hoot - do you still have the same opinions?

Thanks!

1696715-1913.jpg

1696715-1913.jpg.c44a6afad8a5cdd05c69f8df5f528ec8.jpg

I paid 138 with shipping for the below coin which is MS65. Your coin looks just as nice, I say you have a very nice grab here. The only thing that bugs me is it looks like some rub on the horn, upper hip, and ear

c23171076-a.jpg

note: not trying to hijack the thread only posting my picture for reference.

I see the areas you're talking about, Hoard; they're the areas I was not 100% sure about as well. I've looked at them several times and I'm 90-95% certain they're just areas of weak strike. I don't see any appreciable difference in the surface characteristics like I'd see on, for example, the slight rub on the hair above the ear on an AU Morgan $1.

One other thing I should have noted about my photos is that the way the lighting falls, it minimizes the relief, making the raised details of the design less prominent than I'd like.

BTW: I like your buffalo, Hoard!

I'm still of the opinion that the coin is either MS64 or a high AU. Strike can be tricky on buffs, particularly in the head of the bison and on the high points. These are also likely places for the coin to come in contact with agents that may cause the coin to tone. Thus, when viewed with a photo, it's impossible to get an accurate idea of the integrity of the luster. Anyhow, what I see appears to be a bit of weakness in the strike, as might be expected, and other characteristics of late middle die state - e.g., some of the detail loss in the letters of LIBERTY near the rim (which went fast on the T1 buffs) and in places on the Indian's hair, as well as those noted for the reverse. Nothing that would make me dislike the coin in any way, and I think you wound up with a heck of a bargain. thumbsup2.gif

Hoot

"any way, and I think you wound up with a heck of a bargain"

You can say that again. The coin looks better than the teletrade one I bought.

Nice coin congrats , and good bargain.

I got to looking at one of 1913 ty-1 buffs and discovered some very nice strike doubling.

under chin, lips,nose, forehead almost around top of head to feathers in back. Thought i had discovered a new double-die variety. I will try to get photo up tomorrow. I think it

ought to be in a Ms holder. Your coin just looks like a soft strike, and if the luster is there ought to make a 64. yay.gif

please forgive the quality of the photo hard to capture. confused-smiley-013.gif

1697055-Picture001.jpg.c5694704c85a35fd9ac81088e5f812af.jpg

The flattness in the head area is not wear. It is strike related. If you look at the obverse of the coin, you will note that the top feather if the Indian is also weakly struck.

That top feather directly opposes the head on the reverse.

There was just too much area for the die to fill completely, and this problem plagued the series all the way to the end.

I have to say that I like 64 for a grade.

Type ! Buffs are just so Darn beautiful!!!!!!

Pete

I think that you scored. I bought mine raw for $60 and got lucky and got it slabbed 65 by PCGS. Your's looks every bit as nice as long as that's not rub on the coin.