• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do anyone else think these are cool :) -

33 posts in this topic

They are very cool.

Can they get into some type of international trouble for copying our coinage? A larger picture would be interesting to see what detail they have captured.

They are very cool.

Can they get into some type of international trouble for copying our coinage? A larger picture would be interesting to see what detail they have captured.

Its not an exact likeness so I think they are safe .. I will see about pictures

I doubt they can get in trouble for using the design. My guess is that circulating US coin designs are in the public domain because (a) lots of other US government produced work is in the public domain and (b) it's legal for US enterprises to make replicas of US coin designs. This coin also does not fall under the Hobby Protection Act because it does not purport to be an original numismatic item.

Interestingly enough, from what I've seen, if you want to use an effigy of the British monarch on a fantasy coin, you may need permission from the UK government.

Does anyone know what Type 2 means here? How many different types are there?

Good Question .. I will do some research and get back to you

Does anyone know what Type 2 means here? How many different types are there?

Type I has LIBERTY spelled in Swahili. confused-smiley-013.gif

Chris

12% over melt would be a reasonable price to pay for these items, but I doubt you can get them for that.

In my opinion, this is just another clever marketing gimmick. These are coins but have limited demand except from US coin collectors and they know that which is why these designs are used. I mean, how many collectors are there of modern Liberian coinage? (I like some of their 19th century material.) They probably have as much demand as Franklin mint medals or coins from the Isle of Man.

In addition to this one, I've also seen one with the SLQ designs and one that is identical (except for the legends and date) as Pattern J-1776, the 1907 Indian Head gold double eagle (which happens to be my favorite pattern).

Sure it's a gimmick but is it a gimmick that will work and continue to work? The US Mint has used the same gimmick on modern commems and bullion coins where it has been exceedingly successful so far.

What are the mintages for the various types? If people are paying $40 and $50 for these they are doing much better than Franklin Mint medals.

Mainly because of PCGS certification I have had no problem moving them at

$59 w/ $5.95 S/H/I

5 sold , 1 on Reserve , and 3 left ( shameless plug ) boo.gif

Non Circulating Legal Tender = Bullion junk

Seeing as you did NOT do anything via PM ..

What NORMAL person would circulate a PROOF coin - OF COURSE its a non circulating coin - any REAL collector knows that duh

Plus I think this comment was rude arrogant and inappropriate

What NORMAL person would circulate a PROOF coin - OF COURSE its a non circulating coin - any REAL collector knows that duh

ditto

One mans junk is another mans treasure!! cloud9.gif

Good Point smile.gif

I can understand your reaction to my post since you are selling them and you didn't want to lose any sales. I'm concerned that a new collector might buy them thinking they had numismatic value but when it comes time to sell them they will be lucky if the average dealer offers them melt value.

I'm concerned that a new collector might buy them thinking they had numismatic value but when it comes time to sell them they will be lucky if the average dealer offers them melt value.
When it comes to coins like this (as well as many other coins), you are often better off selling to collectors instead of dealers. Just sell them on a board like this or on the bay. I love the Laura quote saying no dealer would pay more than melt for ASEs. Who cares what a dealer will pay when there are collectors that would pay much more for a 1995-W.

I'm much more interested in what collectors would pay for it in the future, as opposed to dealers. This also appears to be the type of coin that you should sell at a mininum price/BIN, not with a no reserve auction starting at 99 cents.