• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Panda coin pouches

6 posts in this topic

I have heard that it is not a good idea to keep panda coins in the plastic pouch they come in from the mint. The plastic capsule supposedly cannot keep out the chemicals in the plastic pouch which will harm the panda coins if given enough time.

The problem here, if true, is that almost everyone says that the original plastic pouch should not be opened because that pouch is perhaps the best proof of where the coin comes from and whether or not it is in pristine condition.

Should these coins be taken out of their pouches or kept in?

I have bought my wife one of these the last 2 years and that was the first thing I did. Don't know if it makes a difference though.

The oldest Panda coin I have still in its pouch is a 1997. There are no problems with the coin being in its original pouch and capsule for the last 10 years. But I will be removing them from their original packaging anyway to have a better way to enjoy them. They will be in AirTites and stored in an AirTite storage box. Ringed AirTites are my favorite storage mechanism since they keep the coin more steady than direct fit.

Scott hi.gif

almost everyone says that the original plastic pouch should not be opened because that pouch is perhaps the best proof of where the coin comes from and whether or not it is in pristine condition.
It may be a good way to assure buyers the coin hasn't been messed with but it's not good proof of where the coin comes from. Counterfeit pandas are known to come in counterfeit plastic pouches.

I have always wanted to move my pandas into Air-Tites but right now they are still in their original platic pouches. But then, I collect gold so they are less reactive to the soft platic pouches. cool.gif

Mine came in a plastic pouch but also was in an airtite when I removed it from that? Of course I didn't by mine from a mint?? One was bought from littleton and the other off ebay. I guess we're talking about the same pouch???