• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Looking for help on advising my daughter about Walkers

15 posts in this topic

I need a little help. You might remember that my younger daughter likes collecting. I’m not sure at this point whether or not it’s really the coins that she likes or the desire to be at least a little bit like Dad. Maybe it’s a bit of both.

Anyway, while I’ve been messing around with the most unpopular and screwed up series ever minted, she has been drawn to Walkers. She spends her own allowance, but I help her on occasion, and I’m trying to teach her as best I can while we put together a set in F-VF.

Now, here’s the problem. I’ve told her time and time again “Shiny is good. Shiny is better. Shiny is pretty.” But no matter how often I recite the mantra, she just doesn’t get it. Do you have any ideas on how I can help her understand the importance of silver that sparkles? I need your help quickly, because this is the kind of coin she seems to like:

1929-D50cobv.jpg

1929-D50crev.jpg

If putting together a set in F-VF, I think her choice of the pictured Half is more realistic than shiny. For this grade the 1929D half is gorgeous and well circulated.

Good job daughter.

Jes

I see nothing really wrong with this coin. Looks original and I would not want to see it shiny. Shiny F-VF sometimes look off, in my opinion.

Lou, I think you should let your daughter follow whatever path she chooses to take. Give her support, not discouragement. If you allow her to develop her own tastes, it may take her deeper into more serious collecting. Then, she would naturally want more information about what and how she is collecting. Every collector has their own way of doings things, and your daughter should be no different.

Personally, I would be afraid that your philosophy of "shiny is better" could lead her to pick up problem coins with altered surfaces. So, which is better? I, too, think she has pretty good taste.

Chris

I think I owe everyone an apology. My opening post was tongue-in-cheek, and I figured that everyone would realize that I was just having a little fun. For the record, the coin that I posted is the kind for which I'm trying to teach my daughter to have an appreciation. It's a gorgeous example of a circulated Walker.

Sorry for the confusion.

I believe IGWT was not serious about the “Shiny is good. Shiny is better. Shiny is pretty.” statement. wink.gif

Right you are. I should have added a winky. I had also hoped to lure Bob out into the open.

I think I owe everyone an apology. My opening post was tongue-in-cheek, and I figured that everyone would realize that I was just having a little fun. For the record, the coin that I posted is the kind for which I'm trying to teach my daughter to have an appreciation. It's a gorgeous example of a circulated Walker.

Sorry for the confusion.

I knew you were joking right off. tongue.gif It is always nice when someone appreciates your sense of humor without explanation. Too bad that the officer did not appreciate my own sense of humor when I showed him a cute little "birdie". s_1d6822a29dce7ec09cfa7540ddda72cd.gifcrazy.gif j/k

I believe IGWT was not serious about the “Shiny is good. Shiny is better. Shiny is pretty.” statement. wink.gif

Right you are. I should have added a winky. I had also hoped to lure Bob out into the open.

Well, you fooled me. I thought you swallowed your tongue.

Chris

Hello Lou----- Being an old fella, retired and all, I have been fairly busy lately. And, I almost missed this open attempt at getting a rise out of me. Am glad that I finally saw it this morning.

That is a nice example of an almost perfect 1929 D fine 12 coin. Is that one of the ones that I told you about awhile ago?? But, regardless, I do keep track of you----and those nickels.

Right now, I think assembling a nice set of F--Vf Walkers is a wonderful challenge. Even in these times you can still find the 'early' Walkers in a nice fine. Course dad would need to help a little on the tough dates. I am continually amazed at how the prices have advanced. I recently bought a 1917 S Obv in an almost VF20 grade----it's really a fine 18. I paid just about 150 for it [including the postage and insurance]. Not too long ago, a 50 spot would have purchased this piece. So, like with any 'decent' coin, it will turn out a definite plus in just a few years.

How are you, Lou?? I think of you and our little girl off and on----fondly I might add. Been finishing my Registry Set of Walkers. They should be back any day now from NGC. Will try to post the info about them as soon as I know something. Barb got a 'new' digital camera. She will try and post some pictures of the nicer coins. Am also planning to do a grading thing on Walkers---if Barb fairs out well with the camera. Will post it on the WYNTK threads----it should give the folks a starting point about grading the Walkers. If it gets done, I hope that you know who might benefit from it to a degree. Maybe her good tastes in coins will influence her dad a little??? Bob [supertooth]

Everything is great, thanks, Bob. I've also been busy lately; I just took on a new job at the beginning of last week. The '26-D is a great coin (although not one that you pointed out for me), with the only flaw in my eyes being the honest scratch across Liberty's breast. Thanks for pegging the grade for me. I don't think I could distinguish between a 12 and a 15, although I'll want to develop that ability before going after some of the tougher dates.