• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Something for Barber quarter collectors - NO GW Dollars involved!!

2 posts in this topic

This letter was found during research for my 1905-1908 book. RWB

(August 24, 1905)

"Sir:

"In accordance with your verbal request of the 21st instant I asked the Engraver for a statement relative to the change in the design of the quarter dollar and he has supplied me with the following information:

"As it was decided to change the subsidiary coins for 1892, the Director of the Mint, Mr. Leech, advertised for designs and many were sent in, but Mr. St. Gaudens, who was appointed one of the committee to pass upon the designs, objected to everything submit-ted. Therefore, Mr. Leech called upon the Engraving Department of this Mint to prepare designs and have the dies ready for the New Year 1892. There were only a few weeks to do the work and no time to prove the dies or make alterations. The instructions were to strike some coins and make such alterations as would be found necessary afterward. The change in the quarter dollar was made because the border was originally quite narrow and it was claimed the coin did not stack well with the old design, which had a very broad border. The border was therefore increased, leaving less room for the inscription and stars and necessitating a rearrangement of the stars.

"Respectfully,

"/s/ Albert A. Norris"