• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Indian Head Cent contamination-what is this?

7 posts in this topic

What is this contamination? This is the second time I have seen this on an Indian Head Cent. Just for knowledge sake, I would like to know. It certainly stops me from being interested in the coin.

Jes Indiancentrev1860contaminated.jpg

Looks like "verdigris" which commonly occurs by the action of acetic acids creating the green cuprous chloride, when copper, brass or bronze is exposed to air, seawater or PVC's over a period of time.

Course it's just an opinion...best left up to the expert copper collectors, this may however get the perverbial ball rolling.

wink.gif

Look like corrosion spots caused by PVC damage to me and you're right...I'd pass as well. Most often if you try to remove it you'll only find corrosion underneath.

Leo

I'm no copper expert, but it looks like some corrosion has already occured...

It may have had an even bigger verdigris problem at some point which was not completely eliminated, and what you are seeing is the really deep stuff they couldn't easily get off without scratching the bejesus out of it.

NCS might be able to clean the green and stabilize the coin -- but where it was growing will still show corrosion damage.

I'd take a pass unless it was a key date and the price was really righteous.