• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Colors Of Autumn Can Be Your Friend (LOTS OF IMAGES)

12 posts in this topic

This might be a strange title for a post about coins, and the fact that it has little to do with the newest Mint-issued dollar series might make it inappropriate for this forum, but I thought I would share this observation.

There appear to be an unending stream of questions regarding the nature of toning and whether or not the toning on a specific coin might be considered to have been caused by happenstance or through motive. Truly, the world of natural toning is a collection of imprecise observations of a slow scientific process that have limited reproducibility. This can cause significant angst among those who have not absorbed the knowledge available and can facilitate the generation of increased profits for those willing to feed a less than fully educated market.

However, if one narrows the toning question down to silver coinage of primarily the last century then the colors of autumn, specifically a New England autumn, can help one along this path. Obviously, not all coins will tone the same way, nor will they all tone within the same range of colors or hues, but quite a few "safe" toned coins will fall within a continuum of colors that might be imagined to exist within a sunlit, autumn woodland environment. If you aspire to obtain those "safe" toned coins with positive eye appeal then this might be the best strategy to follow while learning more about toning.

The following Washington quarters were all from the double US Mint Sets produced from 1947-1949 and 1951-1958, which generated some of the best toned coinage of the twentieth century, and these coins illustrate a wide range of toning that might be encountered. Please note that this could not possibly represent the entire spectrum of toning nor could the look of these coins be limited to original US Mint Sets of the era. Rather, the images presented can be thought of as "safe" coins in the eyes of most collectors of toned coins and might be of value to board members who would like to expand their collecting into this niche but who are not confident to do so. Additionally, although the colors in the images appear quite accurate on my monitor, they may not appear accurate on all monitors, so that is something to keep in mind.

I did not generate the images, although I own the coins, and therefore criticism of the photographic process might best be carried out via PM instead of through the thread. However, if one does not like toned coins, or does not like these specific coins, then feel free to express yourself here. I hope folks may enjoy this thread and might even learn something.

1948-D

H1948DN66.jpg

H1948DN66R.jpg

1949-D

H1949DP66.jpg

H1949DP66R.jpg

1949-D

H1949DP67A.jpg

H1949DP67AR.jpg

1951-S

H1951SP67A.jpg

H1951SP67AR.jpg

1951-S

H1951SP67B.jpg

H1951SP67BR.jpg

1951-S

H1951SP67C.jpg

H1951SP67CR.jpg

1952-S

H1952SP66.jpg

H1952SP66R.jpg

1957-D

H1957DP65.jpg

H1957DP65R.jpg

1957-D

H1957DP66.jpg

H1957DP66R.jpg

1957-D

H1957DP66A.jpg

H1957DP66AR.jpg

1957-D

H1957DP66B.jpg

H1957DP66BR.jpg

I love them all, especially both '49s and the last 57 D. Great lesson in toning. Thanks for posting. Now if you could find a high grade '53 like one of those, I'd love to have it.

WOW!!! hail.gif

Tom, some of those are so tasty they almost make you want to lick them. 893whatthe.giftongue.gif

EDITED TO ADD: Very nice educational post too! thumbsup2.gif

TomB- I appreciate the time and effort put forth in order to present these vivacious Washingtons. The particular ones that just do it for me are the following:

1957-D

1952-S

3rd 1951-S

You will notice that my likes lean towards the even toned coins rather than the speckled or mottled toners. This is my preference and always has been. A nice even transitional toning on the surface of the representative silver coin catches my eye in a very pleasing manner. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with the others, aestetically I like the whole tree to be turned into autum colors and simply do not like to see between the branches.

Wonderful presentation.

Tom I think you know what I think of your taste already, but I must say some WOW coins here. When you get tired of looking at them, sell me some. laugh.gif

Truly, the world of natural toning is a collection of imprecise observations of a slow scientific process that have limited reproducibility.

---

Please note that this could not possibly represent the entire spectrum of toning nor could the look of these coins be limited to original US Mint Sets of the era.

Sweet. cloud9.gif

Great post Tom - thanks for taking the time.

Hoot

Tom,

Very nice and informative post. Wonderful looking coins, and they make me appreciate the Washington Quarters even more. Very well done.

Thank you

Beautiful coins, Tom! We will always find those who differ in their preferences just as we see, here, from some of the comments. My favorites are the '48-D Reverse, '49-D Reverse, '51-S Reverse (3rd coin), '52-S and the prettiest overall in my opinion is the '57-D. Thanks for sharing!

Chris

Thanks for another very informative post 893applaud-thumb.gifthumbsup2.gif You also answered my question (through the pictures) of the stunning green that was on Brucewar's 1958 Quarter in another thread this week.