• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Plastic versus paper wrapper from the Mint?

23 posts in this topic

Sorry, total newb here regarding coins...

Can anyone please tell me why coins sometime come in a plastic wrapper instead of paper when obtained from a bank? These are for new state quarters. Thanks!

I appreciate any information you guys could provide!

I'm pretty sure the plastic wraps are locally wrapped by the bank themselves.

Are you sure? I bought a box and they are all brand new Montana state quarters. Doesn't make sense that they would take them out of the paper wrapper and put them into the plastic packaging.

I HATE the plastic wrappers! They don't hold up well to being banged around, and they are ugly! I like the paper MUCH better.

Ugh plastic.

Coins that you get from your bank are wrapped by the armored car companies after they take them out of the mint bags.

I think this is correct but I'm thinking the armored car services get big bins and not bags. I think bags are going out.

Coins that you get from your bank are wrapped by the armored car companies after they take them out of the mint bags.

I think this is correct but I'm thinking the armored car services get big bins and not bags. I think bags are going out.

I can understand that, but why would they open the boxes, take take the coins out of the wrappers, then rewrap them in plastic, and then box them up again? confused.gif

These are uncirculated state quarters I am talking about.

I can understand that, but why would they open the boxes, take take the coins out of the wrappers, then rewrap them in plastic, and then box them up again? confused.gif

These are uncirculated state quarters I am talking about.

'cause they aren't in wrappers in the mint bags (or bins)... they are loosies. I believe they come in $1000 canvas sacks. Then the bank or armored car co pours them into a machine that shoots them into wrappers.

'cause they aren't in wrappers in the mint bags... they are loosies. I believe they come in $1000 canvas sacks. Then the bank or armored car co pours them into a machine that shoots them into wrappers.

That makes sense. You guys are great! hail.gif

So to get this straight...with new issues, the Mint delivers the coins in two different ways. One is in paper rolls in the boxes. The other is sacks of coins that go to companies/banks that then place them in plastic rolls.

If I am understanding this correctly, then the ones in the paper rolls are much more desirable than the ones in the plastic.

If I am understanding this correctly, then the ones in the paper rolls are much more desirable than the ones in the plastic.

Not quite. Some companies wrap them in paper, like N F String & Son.

Not quite. Some companies wrap them in paper, like N F String & Son.

I apologize, I should have clarified that. I meant that the coins that come in the original paper roll from the Mint are more desirable than the ones in the plastic...even if the ones in the plastic are all BU coins.

Well, paper wrappers from the MINT carry a premium to begin with. Your run of the mill paper wrapper (Dunbar, for instance) don't command too much over their plastic counterparts.

Paper-wrapped rolls of coins from the Mint should carry no premium whatsoever, and those who would pay a premium for those wrapped rolls are not spending their money wisely.

Large coin distribution companies, such as Brinks, will wrap coins before shipping them to banks and these wrapped coins might be in paper wraps or they might be in plastic wraps. The coins are what is important, the wrap means nothing.

Well... I gotta add a thought on to that, Tom -- Mint Rolls might be worth paying a little premium, depending on what your goals are...

In theory the ones in "Mint" rolls should have been handled and banged around a good bit less, so they have less chance of "bag marks" which are small nicks and scratches from bumping into one another in the bin/bag during transport and handling. Not always the case, but it may be worth a small premium to people buying them in bulk hoping to get the highest quality coins.

If you want to make sure you get the best quality coins, only want a few of each type, and are willing to pay a larger premium -- Mint Sets are the way to go, but again -- there is no guarantee that they will be totally problem free either, just a better chance.

My 2 cents.

Well... I gotta add a thought on to that, Tom -- Mint Rolls might be worth paying a little premium, depending on what your goals are...

In theory the ones in "Mint" rolls should have been handled and banged around a good bit less, so they have less chance of "bag marks" which are small nicks and scratches from bumping into one another in the bin/bag during transport and handling. Not always the case, but it may be worth a small premium to people buying them in bulk hoping to get the highest quality coins.

If you want to make sure you get the best quality coins, only want a few of each type, and are willing to pay a larger premium -- Mint Sets are the way to go, but again -- there is no guarantee that they will be totally problem free either, just a better chance.

My 2 cents.

Well, George, I've got to disagree with your disagreement to Tom's statement. The Mint does not perform the wrapping operation. The Mint ships the coins to the subcontractor to be wrapped. So, what is the difference between shipping bulk quantities to the subcontractor for Mint wrappers or to Brinks for generic wrappers?

Chris

My 2 cents.

Well, George, I've got to disagree with your disagreement to Tom's statement. The Mint does not perform the wrapping operation. The Mint ships the coins to the subcontractor to be wrapped. So, what is the difference between shipping bulk quantities to the subcontractor for Mint wrappers or to Brinks for generic wrappers?

Chris

The mint wrapped coins are sprinkled with fairy dust and are full of happiness and giggles!

27_laughing.gif

My 2 cents.

Chris

The mint wrapped coins are sprinkled with fairy dust and are full of happiness and giggles! 27_laughing.gif

27_laughing.gifhi.gif27_laughing.gifhi.gif27_laughing.gifhi.gif27_laughing.gifhi.gif27_laughing.gifhi.gif27_laughing.gifhi.gif27_laughing.gifhi.gif

Chris

At least for the GW $, the mint has stated the same company does the rolling for the paper rolls. Only difference is the paper the mint sells has the MM on it.

Question about the plastic rolls (which are done after they leave the mint by whoever the bank gets their coinage from:

Is there PVC in that plastic? In other words, I would like to keep some of them in the plastic (OBW) but not if it will damage the coins.

Chris

Wasn't disagreeing -- I was adding a thought... I'm not stupid enough to disagree with Tom on anything coin-related.

I was only going from past experience. So-called "Mint Rolls" that I have laid hands on in the past have been superior to anything done by a Bank or Brinks... but I live a long way from both Denver and Philadelphia.

Might just be the total miles travelled before rolling, better counting and wrapping machines, higher paid workers showing a bit more care, or it might be that the mint's wrapping subcontractor gets the first coins out of the chute, so they are just a shade sharper to begin with... either way, I can see why someone may want to pay a premium for mint rolls, besides the fairy dust.

Would coins rolled by Brinks in Philadelphia have fewer scuffs than ones rolled by Brinks in Atlanta? Maybe, maybe not, but every time the bag or bin is handled or jostled, it increases the chance that more scuffs will occur.

This seems to have played out with the new Geo. Wash Dollars -- the ones with no edge lettering seem to be of slightly better quality than the ones that were put through the edging process... and that is only one or two less chances to bang together at the Mint.

I also qualified my statement with "depends on what your goals are..." We know how much of a value gap exists between the upper Mint State grades -- 1 point can mean hundreds of dollars, and if paying a bit extra means you have a slightly better chance at 69's and/or 70's... well, some people might be willing to cough up the premium, that's all.

For the casual collector, it's probably not worth the extra effort, for a coin-esseur with a little extra in the budget it might be worth it to increase the odds.

Of course, if you have a REALLY healthy budget, you just wait for some other poor schmuck to go blind looking for 70's and gambling on submissions -- then you pay him a huge premium to have the coin sealed in a holder with a barcode, and you never have to crack a roll...

I'm not stupid enough to disagree with Tom on anything coin-related.

Are you kidding? You can get away with most anything if you put a plate of Maryland-style blue crabs in front of him.

Chris

Are you kidding? You can get away with most anything if you put a plate of Maryland-style blue crabs in front of him.

Chris

893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif

Chris

Noted for future reference. Sister-in-law lives in Silver Spring, obtaining MD Blues is not a problem...