• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do I deserve a commission?

12 posts in this topic

I posted this across the street but I know not everyone reads over there. I'm posting it here especially for Hoot since I know he saw this coin too.

This 1797 cent was previously listed with an opening bid of $399 and BIN of $488. I decided to pass on it. I didn't even snipe it at opening bid. It had no attribution and a very generic description. I looked it up, found it to be sheldon 140, R1. It is a late die state with die bulging causing the weakness in the drapery on the obverse and the OF on the reverse. When I decided to pass, rather than waste all my work attributing it, I sent it to the seller so he could pass it to the eventual buyer.

He relisted the coin with my attribution for $200 more. I sent him a message with a smile in it asking for a commission. Any other sellers out there need some free research just give me a call...

--Jerry

When you give information freely, you shouldn't expect anything in return. It would be NICE on the seller's part to toss you $20 or so as a thankyou, but it shouldn't be expected.

Personally, I would have cherrypicked it had I known.

I agree...it was unsolicited advice that the seller ungratuitously took. I'd have probably cherry-picked it as well but I'm a greedy slob sometimes wink.gif

L

I am sure you did it NOT expecting One so

NO

Were you expecting a Thank you and A well Done accolade - ABSOLUTELY

oh yeah by the way

WELL DONE !

I am sure you did it NOT expecting One so

NO

I don't think you need to expect a commission (or reward, award, etc.) to deserve one. Many volunteer firemen put their lives on the line and don't expect awards but that doesn't mean they may not deserve one every now and again. One of my friends dove into a river and saved a boy from drowning. He got an award for the successful rescue but does not expecting the award make him less deserving?

"As near as I can tell from the photos, this is a sheldon 140 R1, die state VI or so. the drapery and OF are faint because of die bulging."

In the second description, is this YOUR quote Jerry?

The reason I ask, would not the seller have the coin "in-hand" to describe the attribution? They could have at least given you credit for identifying the coin for them...you get an "Atta-boy" none the less.

27_laughing.gif

Sometimes we do the screwiest things! screwy.gif You won't get your commission, but I think it's pretty funny you asked. BTW, attributing cents in internet aucitons is one of the best ways to hone your skills. thumbsup2.gif

Hoot

Your commission should have been to pick the cherry. You choose a different path, so chalk it up as a real nice thing to do and forget a reward for it.

On a numismatic note, those are two good peepers you got. Attributing coins from a lousy ebay picture is no easy task.

Your commission should have been to pick the cherry. You choose a different path, so chalk it up as a real nice thing to do and forget a reward for it.

Yep, that's what you should have done. I am in the process of working on a deal that is only somewhat similar. A friend of mine has amassed a fairly large collection of UNC Morgans. They have been stored away for 10-15 years. He no longer has time for collecting, and he asked me if I would like to buy them. He realizes there may be some varieties in this assortment, but he just doesn't have the time to go through them. From previous deals I've had with him, I know that he will be very "lenient" in his asking price, so I will probably be able to buy the lot for $12-$15 apiece. At this point, I just don't know how many he has. I can't wait to find out!

Chris

Yep, that's my message to him that he cut and pasted. He didn't even delete the part about the photo. I just thought it was a little humerous the way he did it. I didn't mind at all him using my attribution in the relist since I didn't really think the attribution added any value. Perhaps knowing that the weak areas were die swelling rather than wear is a good thing...

I was just joking about the commission but he replied that if it sells he will give me something. Seems like an ok guy.

So why is this a cherry? It is a common variety. And the late die state may make it a little more rare but really just makes part of the obverse and reverse weak. I really wanted to buy this coin but couldn't get excited about it. Yes, maybe I can attribute from fuzzy photos but I need lessons in understanding what I see...

Thanks,

Jerry