• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MORE ON THE GEORGE WASHINGTON DOLLAR

38 posts in this topic

Just read the thread on smooth rims. Whats angers me is the people on ebay selling the dollars with the inscription upside down as errors and Ebays lack of action in removing these fradulant listings. At least with the no inscription coins you have a chance of getting a genuine coin. With the upsdown inscription you just get f@@ked.

150099636730 just a few of the many. I have tried to contact as many as I could before I was at my limit. I also used the ask the seller a question to inform them of the situation and found that you can only ask so many wuestions in a day.

Help Me Howard

As I have been going through the auctions, I have clicked on the link at the bottom of the page to report these listings to ebay. Let's see if this works!

Scott hi.gif

Whats angers me is the people on ebay selling the dollars with the inscription upside down as errors and Ebays lack of action in removing these fraudulent listings.

Now, just hold on a minute! I have to disagree with you on this point. They are errors! Why, just last week I was watching one of the daytime soaps..........you know.........the coin segment on QVC. Well, Mr. Coinhead himself............he's the guy who likes to talk while showing all of his teeth with the corners of his mouth stretched from earlobe to earlobe..........he said they ARE errors. Why shouldn't people believe it when it comes right from the horse's arse.......I mean...........mouth.

Chris

I actually put up a few of these myself. Started at the value of the dollar, $1.00. Listed as "Upside down lettering", Not Error. I think people are buying these thinking that the mint is going to make changes to the consistency of these with the next dollar. I'm gonna keep 2 sets of each mint for myself. I don't know if this will change also, but I'm gonna have a set if it does.!!!

Welll I dont buy anything from the tv. And if he said that he is as misinformed as everyone else. I have called the mints consumer relations about it and I have called ebay who said they will look into it and said that the us mint has an internal connection with ebay so something should happen soon, I hope. The Mint doesnt see the upsidown inscription as an error and as far as I know the only thing that the mint is going to change is

1. Do more quality control so that no more coins leave without the inscription

2. Try and produce better quality.

Some have also said that the mint is going to recall all the unpurchased rolls from the banks. (I doubt that) and they are going to fix the upsidedown inscription (another untruth).

Well I paid $25 a roll for these coins. I don't mind selling them for $1 a piece for someone who can't get one and wants one. I don't think I'm screwing anyone out of anything. If you think so, then feel free to use me as your example also. My ebay ID is the same as this forum ID. Also, it would be nice to know who you talk to at the mint because I can't seem to get ahold of anyone from quality control or the engraving dept. to see if any changes will be made. confused-smiley-013.gif

I have put up 13 rolls. Last Night I decided I would open one roll and see if I found anything interesting and what the average grade was. I believe the grades were between 62 & 66. 17 of the coins had the date right side up if it was Heads up. 7 of them had the date right side up if the coin was Tails up. So first question which one is supposed to be the error? If anyone added, you are right that equals 24. One coin (which was in the middle of the roll) has NO date or mint mark. This was a Philadelphia roll. I believe this coin would grade 63-64. So second question, Would you sell it on ebay or would you keep it raw or would you send it in to NGC for grading? And last question would you open up any of the other rolls? Man It was fun opening that roll just for kicks, and really cool finding my very first error. To think it only cost me $1.

Some have also said that the mint is going to recall all the unpurchased rolls from the banks. (I doubt that) and they are going to fix the upsidedown inscription (another untruth).

Yes, I would leave both of these in the 'doubt' department too. But...

They apparently can't keep up with sales of rolls (not selling more until 3/24/2007) so buying back might be an option considering they make a $10.95 profit from face value per roll sold direct to the public.

With inexpensive automation they can hit close to 100% on right-side up edge inscriptions and edge print assurance.

send it in to NGC for grading?

That's what I'm doing with the one I have.

I figure I'll slab it and keep it for my Prex dollars collection.

If you're not planning on trying to make a registry set for the Prez dollars, then I'd just hang on to it.

The bottom line is, it will always be worth more than one dollar.

SEE:Item number: 200086272359 ON EBAY. I HAVE 3 OF THE NO INSCRIPTION ONE AT NGC RIGHT NOW. MOST LIKLEY SOME OF THESE ACTUAL ERRORS ARE FAKE BEING GROUND OFF SO, IF YOU ARE NOT SURE GRADING THEM WOULD TAKE THE GUESS WORK OUT OF IT.

I CALLED THE MINT AT (202)354-7227 ABOUT THE NON ERROR UPSIDE DOWN INSCRIPTION. THAT IS THE COMSUMER RELATIONS DEPT.. DON'T THINK YOU WOULD GET THROUGH TO THE ENGRAVING DEPT.

AS TO THE QUESTION OF WHICH ONE IS THE ERROR?

A. NEITHER ONE

FEEL FREE TO CALL THE MINT ABOUT THE UPSIDE DOWN INSCRIPTION ERROR. UNLESS THE FRAUD IS MADE KNOWN TO THEM AND THEY RELEASE A STATMENT AND ADDITIONALLY CONTACT EBAY NOT WILL BE DONE.

I HAVE A LISTING FOR THENM ALSO SEE: Item number: 120095788384

I CURRENTLY HAVE 2 BIDDERS HIGH BIDDER .06 CENTS smile.gif

here's your link!! Interesting!

ebay consumer awareness

Aren't you actually violating ebay rules with this auction? I thought that an auction had to be an actual item that could be sold and received if bids are being taken??

here's your link!! Interesting!

ebay consumer awareness

Aren't you actually violating ebay rules with this auction? I thought that an auction had to be an actual item that could be sold and received if bids are being taken??

I AM SELLING SOMETHING A PDF FILE OF THE INFORMATION ON THE LISTING. ITS AT THE BOTTOM

Well, no poop, smile.gif

I'm just happy I have it for now.

I just wish I could get a good answer on how to get the Registry banner thingy for my sig.

edit: Figured it out.

Speaking of Washington Dollars, I currently have the #1 Registry Set!

http://www.collectors-society.com/registry/coins/PeopleSetDetail.aspx?PeopleSetID=30336

When will you be getting some photos up?

The coins were just shipped from NGC today via Registered, which of course means I might never see them.

Once I have them, I will post a pic of that one.

Well, I picked up 3 more rolls today. So I now have 15 unopened Philadelphia rolls and one opened rolled where I found one without the date. Wish I could see in the future. Lookin at Ebay now, and the coins ending in less than an hour are between $100-180 dollars. I would like to send the one I have to NGC and any others that I find but I feel like this is probably gonna be the highest this error sales for. I should probably sale now and try to buy it 6 months from now. What ya think?

Well, I picked up 3 more rolls today. So I now have 15 unopened Philadelphia rolls and one opened rolled where I found one without the date. Wish I could see in the future. Lookin at Ebay now, and the coins ending in less than an hour are between $100-180 dollars. I would like to send the one I have to NGC and any others that I find but I feel like this is probably gonna be the highest this error sales for. I should probably sale now and try to buy it 6 months from now. What ya think?

The advantage of selling yours now and trying to buy a blank one later is that if your buy one later that is slabbed, you know it is a real error and not a dremmeled one.

OR you could open all your rolls, pick out the blanks, then spend/deposit the others.

Where in the country are you? I opened eight rolls and found zero blank edges.

NC on the coast... interesting I'm in Charlotte and got zero. But then again, all I have I got on the First Day of Issue, so they probably came from the same lot at the Mint.

I hate being at the mercy of the banks for First Day of Issue. It makes no sense that I can't go to the Charlotte Federal Reserve (branch of Richmond) and buy coins directly.

I would assume that someone may eventually find one or two in a roll that is a blank with perfect edge inscriptions ... that would be a cool one, eh?