• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Any ideas on what this is?

6 posts in this topic

More memories from a box of junk tokens and coins that I ran across, except I lost my memory of when or where this came from. The blotch on the reverse is from some double sided tape that I never fully cleaned off.

It is made out of bronze and weighs heavily and its about the size of a morgan $1.

TillyCommem-Obv.jpg

TillyCommem-Rev.jpg

Thanks, I think that information combined with the artist initals and date "RP76" give me a clue to put 2+2 together. It was probably a commemorative medallian from a USS destroyer christening that I attended in 1976.

Gator, these are both interesting pieces. Did you look on the edge to see if there is a hallmark? If it was produced stateside, my guess would be MACO, but there are other medallic arts companies. It's just that the relief and detail is so similar to other medals of theirs that I have. If it were produced in France, there may be a cornucopia on the edge.

Chris

No edge markings at all. I have a couple dozen of these medals from different ship commissionings from the 70s. Some are struck in aluminum, but most are bronze. All keepsake items, I suppose someone would have a serious specialized interest in this type of series for them to be of much monetary value.