• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Has anyone ever seen these before?

7 posts in this topic

I have seen the coin... I own one. But the PCGS label is interesting. I have not seen a TPG do that with non-US coins.

Scott hi.gif

Cool...I own a few rev-proof Canadian Maple Leafs...never seen one in a holder like that...I thought the Queen was heads on that coin?

I see that they also use Ag for silver.

I guess it's a preference request thing like having a one sided toned coin facing the viewer.

Maple Leaf heads/Queen Elizabeth tails. (They flip this for the Stanely Cup play-offs?)

Cool...I own a few rev-proof Canadian Maple Leafs...never seen one in a holder like that...I thought the Queen was heads on that coin?

Technically, the Queen is on the obverse of all the coins in the Commonwealth Realm. But it is a numismatic practice to show the reverse because those change from coin to coin.

I see that they also use Ag for silver.

There is a law in Canada that requires everything the government issues has to be bi-lingual. By using the chemical symbol Ag it is a universal symbol and does not require the Royal Canadian Mint to put both "Silver" and "Argent" on a coin.

The bi-lingual requirement is also why numbers are not spelled out. You will not see "one cent" on a Canadian coin, but you will see "1 cent."

I guess it's a preference request thing like having a one sided toned coin facing the viewer.

Maple Leaf heads/Queen Elizabeth tails. (They flip this for the Stanely Cup play-offs?)

Numismatic preference. Nothing more than that. No consipiracy theories. Sorry!

Scott hi.gif