• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Yet another guess the grade and value: 1874 Seated Half

11 posts in this topic

I feel the rev wear on the eagle's right leg prevents an ef40. so vf30 would be my guess. I don't know on this old a coin if the rim ding would reduce it or not. Still a nice coin to own.

Jes

I have a question for everyone. I believe that Zach has initiated this thread to encourage everyone to place a value on the coin and support that determination with their estimates of grade, eye appeal, detractions, etc. Why isn't anyone offering an opinion on value as though this could be a coin you would like to purchase for yourself? Aren't we all buying coins on a somewhat regular basis? It seems to me that threads like this would be a good learning tool.

Chris

VF-30 $175 (deduct $25 for rim ding) $150 give or take a few bucks.

I gave her a 30 because the clasp on her shoulder is still visible & LIBERTY is complete (moderate wear high points) and...she's still in her original skin. Nice even wear...nice patina.

how's that zrlevin/cpm9ball

I would own this coin.

Eye appeal is strong on this coin. I like it at first glance. This is the type of circulated coin I like in my collection. It has character, originality and doesn't appear to be messed with in any way. There are some marks in the field that one would expect for the grade. I think you have assigned the proper grade of VF25, even with the rim ding. Nice coin! thumbsup2.gif

VF30 with obv having a better than VF gown top, and hair definition, rev having a better than VF claw definition. I do not think the ding will lower the value. $175. How's that Chris?

Jes

I paid $66 for this coin when I went to Baltimore in November. The dealer was a nice guy and gave it to me for one dollar over wholesale bid.

the coin is beautiful. honest wear and a nice presentation of patination. I would buy this coin. I can't say what I would pay for it because I'll usually pay whatever it takes (within reason) for what I really like.