• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Other than eBay, what auction houses consistently writes the worst descriptions?

8 posts in this topic

Teletrade's descriptions are not too great. Some coin are not even described.

I've seen Teletrade describe coins that were way off ... talking about a Jefferson nickel, while the picture shows a buffalo nickel, etc.

Heritage stinks when it comes to Buy Now lots. When I'm about to spend $1,000 on a coin, the least I want is a description. Most lots don't have photos OR descriptions.

Teletrade and Superior.

Teletrade frequently describes the wrong coin, neglects to mention obvious surface problems, occasionally lists Sacagawea dollars as bullion coins (no lie), is currently listing a Capitol Visitor Center clad 50c commemorative as a platinum bullion coin, and doesn't give a *spoon* when you waste the energy of writing to alert them.

As previously noted, Superior frequently has no description whatsoever and produces their photos in a manner that yields unrealistic color values.

Beijim

I'm not going to name names, but actually, I think they all suck at times, and it makes me shiver when I think that someday I'm going to put my coins up for auction and be victimized by lousy descriptions that miss the point. Seriously, it makes me feel like negotiating editorial approval AND photographic approval, but I doubt my collection would command that kind of personalized attention. but...never say never.

what pisses me off about ALL of them is that they barely gloss over lower grade items unless they're ultra rare. Any real collector knows that there are lower grade coins that can surpass higher grade ones, but if you read the auction firms reviews, they tout the miraculously high prices they're bringing in and how much all the coins they had for auction went for, and it just makes me want to vomit.

Was I clear enough? 893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif