• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

American Silver Eagle Sets

37 posts in this topic

I'm not a good enough collector to care what the ANA, NGC, PNG, TPG.... FBI, DOD, DOJ or any other TLA says is a set. They make blank pages for albums, so I always have a set.. :-)

Let me ask the group a question, though.

If your logic calls the 2006-W "uncirculated" a seperate collectible from the not circulated 2006-W ASE. Does it also count the uncirculated 2006-P dime, a separate collectible from a not circulated 2006-P dime.

I've never seen Coin Vault, are those the same guys that did the PBA tour on the wide world of sports?

Why is this so important to you Chuck? You seem to bump this every couple of days.

Because the Coin Vault and Robert Chambers have an enourmous influence on defining this very subject. I have been in a e-mail dual with them since the 2006W MS first came out.

Consider that there have been 459,000 2006W ASE in MS minted. That makes it the lowest ASE minted EVER. The Coin Vault doesn't want to include it as part of a normal set because it wasn't sold the way all other ASE's were sold,(in green monster boxes).

They have sold approximately 40,000 complete ASE sets over the years and if the 2006W is accepted as an ASE that should be part of a set they would have to add a disclaimer to thier graphic that would say "Less 2006W" when selling sets in the future.

The 2006 W will surpass the 1996 ASE as THE key coin and add value to the set.

There will be 2007 W ASE's sold this year the same way as last year and that coin should also be included for a complete set to be recognized. It's another Mint Marked ASE just as there are many Mint Marked Morgan or Peace Dollars.

I don't believe the Coin Vault should have the power to make the call so I guess my battle is really with them and I'm trying to get support from you collectors.

Because the Coin Vault and Robert Chambers have an enourmous influence on defining this very subject. I have been in a e-mail dual with them since the 2006W MS first came out.

Really? Up until this thread I had never heard of Robert Chambers--although I have heard of Coin Vault (unfortunately). I don't really know what his stance is and, quite frankly, I really don't care! Collectors should decide for themselves as to what and how they want to collect.

As for Registry Sets, that should be up to the TPG that runs the registry set competition to make that decision. After all, it is their competition and they should have the final say on rules, etc.

For the record, I purchased an extra uncirculated ASE to put into an album. I decided to make it part of the set. It was the right thing to do for me.

There will be 2007 W ASE's sold this year the same way as last year and that coin should also be included for a complete set to be recognized. It's another Mint Marked ASE just as there are many Mint Marked Morgan or Peace Dollars.

I don't think the Mint has announced whether they will continue the program with the 2007-W ASE. If they do, I will buy the coin for my album. I made that decision for my collection to be more than just a year set.

I don't believe the Coin Vault should have the power to make the call so I guess my battle is really with them and I'm trying to get support from you collectors.

I am still trying to figure out what power they have? Are collectors really following what they say? I am sure someone is listening to these hucksters, but I don't think they really have much of an impact.

Scott hi.gif

As for Registry Sets, that should be up to the TPG that runs the registry set competition to make that decision. After all, it is their competition and they should have the final say on rules, etc.

I agree 100% and I hope they see a complete set as including every ASE minted. (Which I believe they do)

I don't think the Mint has announced whether they will continue the program with the 2007-W ASE. If they do, I will buy the coin for my album. I made that decision for my collection to be more than just a year set.

You can sign up for a subscription of Uncirculated ASE on the Mint web site today. I signed up last night.

I am still trying to figure out what power they have? Are collectors really following what they say? I am sure someone is listening to these hucksters, but I don't think they really have much of an impact.

I agree they are hucksters, but any business that has sold almost 40,000 sets can define or at least influence an attitude towards something. Maybe I just don't like the fact that they can send thousands of coins and build whatever they want.

Example

If you or I send in one 20th Anniversary Silver or Gold set to be graded, we could end up with two 69's and a 68 or a 70, a 69, a 68 or any other combination of the three coins. We would have to take what we got out of our one set.

The Coin Vault can send in hundreds of sets and if they get a MS70 from one set and a PF70 from another and a PF70 Reverse form another they can put the three coins together and sell it as a 70 Set. To me that is wrong. To me, sets should be marketed as sets, sold as sets and graded as sets. Maybe this is none of my business but it still irks me. I don't think I'll ever win on this point

As far as defining what a COMPLETE SET of ASE's is, I believe if I complain enough, someone will listen.

Thanks for listening.

I wonder how people with "complete" Coin Vault sets feel when they run into a reverse proof for the first time.

So far we've only been talking about MS sets. But you're right, on the PR side the Reverse Proof should be in every set that qualifies as a COMPLETE PR set of ASE's. It could be argued that to qualify as Complete on the PR side you must have a 1995W. You can bet your bottom dollar Coin Vault won't want them as qualifiers for complete.