• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is this a Proof?

8 posts in this topic

I've had this for some time and believe it may be a proof. The coin has mirrored surfaces and the rims are very squared off and sharp as well as the lettering being squared off. Take a look at the rims in this photo and give me your opinion as to wheter it is a a proof or business strike.

Thanks,

JJ

1905po.jpg

What makes you think that James? I've never seen rims on a Business strike Indian like these. Also, the surfaces or mirrored but do no show hairlines as if pollished.

Jason

It sure looks proof to me with the squared rims and denticles and exceptionally strong strike.

I can't tell from the images, but my guess, based upon the color being wrong/off, is that it's a cleaned or dipped business strike. A reverse image might help.

The image is funky and appears to have been deliberately taken with such an angle and lighting technique so as to hide flaws on the coin. Regardless of proof or business strike, I would stay away from this piece as, in my opinion, it spells trouble.