• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Baltimore/DC Picture thread

6 posts in this topic

I thought we had left the camera in the car we travelled in (which wasn't my fiance's or mine), but just found it, so here we go... I'll be adding pics to this thread as I get them loaded, cropped, resized, etc. All the pics were taken by me on an Olympus Camedia digital camera and I'm not exactly a professional photographer nor the steadiest of hands, but I did the best I could.

First, the Smithsonian 1933 Double Eagles (The display for those who haven't seen it shows both coins, one obverse and one for the reverse)

1933Smith.JPG

And the FLAWLESS 1907 Ultra High Relief right above them:

UHR.JPG

I didn't get a pic of the 1804 Dollars as they are set at such an angle that you get almost no light on the coins and a flash would simply reflect and ruin the shot.

Next is the Convention itself and yes, that is all 5 1913 V Nickels are they were displayed:

Nickels.JPG

More to come, just a few to enjoy for the time being.

(Ok, a bonus, but a non-US coin... the Great British Mint unveiled the commemorative pieces they are minting for the Lord of the Rings... Since we couldn't bring one home, I had to get a shot of the one I want)

Precious.JPG

More to come!

Thank you for posting these pics. I've never seen the Smithsonian's coin exhibit despite several visits there, and I wasn't able to make it to Baltimore, so I really appreciate being able to experience both vicariously.

Regards,

Beijim

Well, if you get the chance to go back, take as much time as you can get to hit the coin collection in the Smithsonian. When I say the Ultra High Relief is flawless, I mean it. Unless the reverse if somehow damaged, I could not find a single flaw on the obverse and would say that it would be one of the VERY few coins that truly deserved a 70.

It's well worth the trip... I'm glad we were able to take a day to get down to DC to see it. I've been to DC twice prior to this year, but both times were LONG before I started collecting coins so could not really appreciate the collection as I do today.

And here we go, the Nickels one by one, from left to right in the display (Sorry about the quality, they didn't come out the clearest and I really didn't have time to keep snapping away till they did, so until a better photographer posts their pics, just replace the blurs in your mind with the right coins)

Coin 1 (aka The Smithsonian Example):

Nickel1.JPG

Coin 2 (aka The ANA Museum Example):

Nickel2.JPG

Coin 3 (aka The Missing 1913 Nickel):

Nickel3.JPG

(Got to brag a bit, but I guessed in March in the poll that the owner had it stowed away after it was declared to be a fake... one instance I had it pegged... ok except for it being the family of the former owner)

Coin 4 (aka PCGS Gold Labelled "Finest Known" PR-66, It sold Tuesday July 29 for "about" $3,000,000):

Nickel4.JPG

Coin 5 (aka PCGS PR-64):

Nickel5.JPG

Five illegally manufactured nickels but a very interesting thread at that.

They should rename each nickel after infamous bandits, Jesse James, Billy the Kid, Singing pistal Pete, Sundance kid, ?, Has the US government ever issue a statement why these coins have not been confiscated and distroyed. It's sad that our numismatic hobby can display such false pride in bogus coins that truly have no place in coin collecting. Shame on our leaders who are blind to the facts that send the wrong message to the numismatic world of collecting. If it were a famous painting that was forge and duplicated, it would be distroyed. Our government should pay for these mistakes and remove them from our hobby. These coins, their history, do nothing for me. Where's the pride in having one of these things?

Many people really need to grow up!

Leo