• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Finish Designations for Canadian Coins

4 posts in this topic

I realize that NGC utilizes the ANA Grading Standards when grading coins. I have Canadian coins some of which have a finish that would qualify what is known in Canadian standards as SP - (specimen finish). This is in addition to the normal terms Cameo, Ultra Cameo etc. What kind of finish designation would NGC utilize on these coins instead of SP or would they use that?

The definition of Specimen Finish is Brilliant relief against a parallel lined background.

Thank you,

NGC will designate coins from Canada based on their finish. Proof, PL (Proof Like) and SP (Specimen) coins all qualify for the designations Cameo and Ultra Cameo.

Jay,

Thank you very much for the reply. So am I correct that a Canadian Coin could read something like SP-66 Ultra Cameo?

Also, regarding varieties of Canadian Coins. Will NGC designate/attribute varieties on these and if so, what standards are used, Zoell Numbers, etc? How do I indicate this on the submission.

One last question, can I use the Multi-Holders for sets of Canadian Coins as well?

Thank you,

Reynolds

Thank you very much for the reply. So am I correct that a Canadian Coin could read something like SP-66 Ultra Cameo?

Yes

Also, regarding varieties of Canadian Coins. Will NGC designate/attribute varieties on these and if so, what standards are used, Zoell Numbers, etc? How do I indicate this on the submission.

Currently NGC does not designate Zoell numbers.

One last question, can I use the Multi-Holders for sets of Canadian Coins as well?

Yes, if the coins or sets requested can fit into a Multi-Holder.