• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A few 2003 coins from NGC

9 posts in this topic

Courtesy of ten Mint Sets, and a quick turnaround from NGC. Please note that I've gotten some scratches or junk on my scanner so lint and debris are NOT on the actual coins.

Attached is a 2003 Lincoln Cent in MS-69RD

225574-2003_Lincoln_69RD.JPG.4941b9bcf8ae299e818b65bc5a0359ef.JPG

Question from a forever-novice:

Are these coins from Uncirculated Mint Sets, the ones that come in "cellophane plastic" for lack of a better term? I assume yes. Why do you break them out and slab, to sell? To do that registry set thingamagig?

2nd question, do you ever break open proof sets?

3rd question, should I wait to buy the 2003 silver proof set?

Question from a forever-novice:

Are these coins from Uncirculated Mint Sets, the ones that come in "cellophane plastic" for lack of a better term? I assume yes. Why do you break them out and slab, to sell? To do that registry set thingamagig?

2nd question, do you ever break open proof sets?

3rd question, should I wait to buy the 2003 silver proof set?

1 -- Yes, these coins came from the standard uncirculated sets that the Mint sells. I order multiple sets, break all the coins out, send the best in for certification, keep the second best for my Dansco albums, then spend the rest or give out the state quarters as gifts.

2 -- I'm not a fan of proof coins, so I do not purchase them.

3 -- Up to you, not familiar with the market.

Leo,

Jury's out on the chin as to if it's a struck fragment or a tick. On the reverse, there's a mark about the E in Five not visible in the scan and some mild scuffing around the C & E in Monticello, depending on your angle. Obverse has some mild scuffing near the O in God, which is slightly visible in the scan and a mark by the 0 in 2003. There's a few more marks with magnification, but those are the only ones I can see looking at the piece with the naked eye.

Very clean overall, and most of the marks require magnification, or are in spots that are hard to see.